Charles Rangeley-Wilson

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Charles Rangeley-Wilson

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I was given the 'Accidental Angler' by Charles Rangeley-Wilson and I enjoyed reading it, in fact it has been promoted from my book cupboard to my book shelf as I intend to read it again shortly.

During the recent TFF visit to the Wye we spent a few hours each day browsing through the book shops in Hay-on-Wye. I bought a few books, one of which was 'Silt Road' by Charles Rangeley-Wilson. I had seen the reviews of this book and looked forward to reading it. The book purports to be the story of a lost river. It is not. The book is like an urban river, it meanders around and is full of rubbish. On page 211 he write about his difficulties while writing this book . . . " I'm sitting at a desk sh***ing out banalities as if I'm passing kidney stones - hour after hour, getting nowhere". It's a shame he continued with it, this book should never have been published. I have put it in the bin for recycling as the space in my book cupboard is too precious. Needless to say I would not recommend the book.

I found some good books; 'On Fishing at Sea', 'The Second Angling Times Book' and a signed copy of 'Soldier' the autobiography of General Sir Mike Jackson.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Charles Rangeley-Wilson

Post by Dave Burr »

Is 'Silt Road' a typo then? :Hahaha:

Great review :Thumb:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Yes, I think it is ! I waited a few days before writing this review because I was quite annoyed, I felt I had been conned. The sad thing is that it was a great idea, very badly executed.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

I enjoyed 'Accidental Angler' and 'Somewhere Else' both by Charles Rangeley Wilson but Silt Road I put to one side after the first chapter I think. No doubt I'll try it again in future.

Pete

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'm tempted to buy a copy just to see how bad it really is! But I'm not a fan. A good friend of mine contacted him about a fishing trip and was not impressed by the nature of his reply.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Peter, don't bother, the first chapter was one of the better bits !

Santiago, spend you money on something else :-)

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

[quote="SofaSurfer"]Peter, don't bother, the first chapter was one of the better bits !

quote]

:laugh:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I enjoyed "The accidental Angler" and "Somewhere else".

Charles is a really nice chap. He answered one of my posts once on a fly fishing forum years ago, we got chatting and when I told him about my son having Cerebral Palsy, he sent him a signed copy of his book The accidental Angler, along with a signed photograph, telling Craig (My son) that he'd better stop talking now because his Dad (me) was pushing him to write his next book "That Book", So I may be responsible for it being rubbish. :Wink:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Kingfisher wrote:I enjoyed "The accidental Angler" and "Somewhere else".
I also enjoyed them. I thought the television programme of The Accidental Angler was quite entertaining too. I've not read the Silt Road, but I may give it a go despite Sofasurfer's review. The theme of it appeals to me and it's always best to make one's own mind up, I feel.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

GregF,

I would be interested in your views on this book.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”