novels with fishing in them??

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Capebreton
Perch

novels with fishing in them??

Post by Capebreton »

It may be trout season in UK very soon but here in eastern canada we still have snow. Does anybody have any suggestions of novels that have fishing in them. (Beyond the Old man and the Sea.!) There are several US mystery series but to be frank most are not up to much.

Aitch
Pike

Re: novels with fishing in them??

Post by Aitch »

Try "Pastoral", by Neville Shute.... good story about a bomber crew who all fish
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Bluelabel wrote:Try "Pastoral", by Neville Shute.... good story about a bomber crew who all fish
Flying and fishing at the same time cool....... grabs coat and leaves :Tongue:

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

"Death is No Sportsman" by Cyril Hare and "Cork on the Water" by MacDonald Hastings - classic Penguin whodunnits with fishing their core!

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

A river runs through it by Norman MacLean

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0226 ... d_i=468294

From its first magnificent sentence, "In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing", to the last, "I am haunted by waters", A River Runs Through It is an American classic. Based on Norman Maclean's childhood experiences, A River Runs Through It has established itself as one of the most moving stories of our time; it captivates readers with vivid descriptions of life along Montana's Big Blackfoot River and its near magical blend of fly fishing with the troubling affections of the heart. This handsome edition is designed and illustrated by Barry Moser. There are thirteen two-color wood engravings. "A masterpiece...This is more than stunning fiction: It is a lyric record of a time and a life, shining with Maclean's special gift for calling the reader's attention to arts of all kinds--the arts that work in nature, in personality, in social intercourse, in fly-fishing."--Kenneth M. Pierce, Village Voice Norman Maclean (1902-90), woodsman, scholar, teacher, and storyteller, grew up in the Western Rocky Mountains of Montana and worked for many years in logging camps and for the United States Forestry Service before beginning his academic career. He retired from the University of Chicago in 1973.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A delightful short story ... "The Girt Pike" ... by Louis be Bernieres (the author of Captain Corelli's Mandolin") ... in the collection "Notwithstanding - Stories from an English Village."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Salmon fishing in the Yemen, Paul Torday
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I thoroughly recommend 'How I came to know Fish' by Ota Pavel, not exactly a novel but then certainly not a book about just fishing.

Previous thread here viewtopic.php?f=183&t=10013&hilit=Pavel
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

thank you one and all; will hunt up .

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

George Orwell, Coming Up For Air.

The chief protagonist, George Bowling, is a fat, middle-aged bloke who is trapped in a life he loathes with a nagging wife from whom he cannot escape. He longs for the joys of his country childhood when he enjoyed simple pleasures like walking through beautiful English fields and woods and indulged in the thing that gave him more pleasure than any other: fishing. All the while he is worried that everything he holds sacred is about to be destroyed forever by yet another pointless war not long since he has survived active service in World War I.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”