The Deepening Pool

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

The Deepening Pool

Post by Mark »

Today, looking out of my window and seeing the trees being blown about I decided to read a book that I hadn’t read for awhile. I did not venture out at all today, not even to feed the birds. Looking along my bookshelves my eyes stopped at ‘The Deepening Pool’. It’s been a few years since I last read this book and after only five chapters what a good read it is.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

BlackSheep

Re: The Deepening Pool

Post by BlackSheep »

A sound choice if i may say so sir.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I could never see why copies of "Casting at the Sun" fetched such high prices, when in my opinion "The Deepening Pool" is a better read. An excellent choice
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I haven't read it for years but it is a good read. :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I must re-read that one, I remeber it being another masterpeice!!! :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

Casting at the Sun is generally thought of as Yates' best book but personally I would always put Deepening Pool and Secret Carp above that.

A matter of opinion I guess.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Luke wrote:Casting at the Sun is generally thought of as Yates' best book but personally I would always put Deepening Pool and Secret Carp above that.

A matter of opinion I guess.
Interesting that CY may agree with you on that one.
About 16 years ago I bought a copy of the secret carp from Simon Legg in Kingfisher's of Stow. It wasn't signed and I suggested that I would be more likely to buy if it was and Simon agreed to get it signed.
When it arrived at my house directly from Chris Yates there was a note inside, in Chris's distinctive brown ink handwriting, saying "...I do hope you enjoy it. Though casting at the sun was more popular the secret carp is more from the heart - and better written, I think"
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

A Secret Carp and The deepening Pool flow beautifully perhaps in a away that Casting at the Sun doesn't however, both were written or at least finished later in Yates' career and may reflect his maturing style.

That written, Casting at the Sun records very many years fishing and a great depth of experience. In my opinion it has a certain degree of richness, for want of a better word, that is only equalled by Confessions.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I think, perhaps, that Casting at the Sun had a story, it was going somewhere and had an end, so the book flowed along nicely building until it got where it was going. The Secret Carp was more of a rambling, thoughts conjured by spending one too many nights beside old, creepy pools. Forever tripping over itself and branching off into other, slightly related topics makes it what it is, and still remains as one of my favourites. Even better with the Audio where the great man reads it himself..........
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Rutilus.Bobicus

Post by Rutilus.Bobicus »

Just bought a copy of 'The Deepening Pool', arrived to day.
In hardback for £12 inc postage from eBay.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”