The Deepening Pool

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The Deepening Pool

Post by Mark »

rutilus.bobicus wrote:Just bought a copy of 'The Deepening Pool', arrived to day.
In hardback for £12 inc postage from eBay.
I'm certain that you will enjoy it RB, a good choice. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

You certainly will RB, especially with temperatures the way they are at present, perfect for curling up in front of the fire with one of Mr Yates' masterpieces!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

PondPikey

Post by PondPikey »

Agree, I read mine at least twice a year. Casting at the sun is also very dog eared!

Julian W

Post by Julian W »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:I think, perhaps, that Casting at the Sun had a story, it was going somewhere and had an end, so the book flowed along nicely building until it got where it was going. The Secret Carp was more of a rambling, thoughts conjured by spending one too many nights beside old, creepy pools. Forever tripping over itself and branching off into other, slightly related topics makes it what it is, and still remains as one of my favourites. Even better with the Audio where the great man reads it himself..........
Totally agree with Sweetcorn kid about the audio version of Secret Carp, which is a joy to listen to. The fact that it is recorded in a riverside studio also means it comes complete with background waterside nosies - fantastic! Since my car radio broke I must have listened to mine at least 20 times!

Julian W

Post by Julian W »

Sorry, just realised we've gone off-topic. Love the Deepening Pool too! Shame a few more of CY's books can't go audio.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I have just read 'The Deepening Pool' for the first time, I don't know why it took so long. I bought a nice copy from eBay for £10. I thought the first 10 chapters reminded me of 'Casting' but then the barbel chapters kicked in. Nice memories at the end, about his children, a book of 3 halves. The photographs were excellent. I liked the book but not as much as 'Casting'.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Just over half way through this and loving every page as its kind of the way my fishing is going with the carp on the back burner.
I'm reading 1 or 2 chapters a morning in the van before I start work It's the only hour of the day I have just to myself.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I understand that "The Diary of a........." is your next book on your reading list. Talk about 'after the Lord Mayor's show'. That little tome doesn't bear comparison.Te he! :surrender: :Scared: :Tongue:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Bob Brookes wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:50 am I understand that "The Diary of a........." is your next book on your reading list. Talk about 'after the Lord Mayor's show'. That little tome doesn't bear comparison.Te he! :surrender: :Scared: :Tongue:
Yes should be starting that early next week Bob I get to work an hour early every day just so I can read in peace I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in mate!
Wow 1000 posts a little milestone for me this morning :huray:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Where can I get the audio version of his books gents.. ?I'm a dedicated Audio book lover and love Chris's Books.. at the mo I'm trundling through Falling In Again
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”