What are you reading?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Olly »

I know and have fished some of the rivers/swims in his book. The Till being one. Very interesting as some of the places mentioned are still there although the railway to the R. Glen is defunct the stations are now inhabited by locals or used as yards.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Frank sawyer 'Nymphs and the trout' , a very good, thought provoking read.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

John Harding wrote:Image

Hello all,

The book I am reading at present is My Life As An Angler by W. (William) Henderson published in 1879. I am only up to the first few chapters which describe his childhood and his introduction to angling. One part that brought a smile to my face, ( I know it shouldn't really) was his description of some of the other activities he and his friends got up to. One was building giant kites, he built a "monster kite of an oblong sexagon shape which was "5ft by 3ft 6", with a three times longer tail". Now I know kite building and flying is quite an innocent pastime but it was the next chapter that made me smile inwardly (sorry) :-

Hope you can read the paragraph from the book, if not briefly they used to tie a basket to the kite and delite in sending a cat or a puppy into the air, they did not think it an act of cruelty as it was considered to be a privalege for the cat or the puppy, who was usually asleep when it came back down to earth !

Now before any of you decide next time you are a bit bored when you are out fishing to grab the nearest cat or dog and send them into space just think what the RSPCA might think of it.

John Harding.

This looks great John, absolutely love the cover artwork, pure class!

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I have to agree wonderful cover. If I even thought of sending cats aloft with a kite my wife would make sure some other things were nestled safety in a basket!

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Gaz,

As you say, perhaps best to not even think about it.

Regards,
John

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”