An important piece of angling history

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: An important piece of angling history

Post by Tengisgol »

You'll recall that one is Jack Hilton's net Leigh, with all his fish marked on it. Len also let me have a waggle of Bill Quinlan's whole cane Southwell Avocet that day, which was the most perfect piece of cane I have ever held!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

You lucky man Phil
Phil & Len.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It was wonderful talking to Len that day. He was so patient and I had the chance to ask and listen about the Redmire monsters and he told me what he knew. Magic Leigh, that was a great day!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Leigh wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:11 pm
JPC wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:16 pm I think it's a shot taken by Shaun of my two laminated cane nets. The one on the right with the knotless mesh is a Chris Brown/Nick Buss Walker copy with a Dave Lumb lureweave mesh fitted. The net on the left is a B James net fitted with a Dr Rex Elsgood knitted (and knotted) mesh, the original mesh started to rot so a replacement was needed. Jim Hindle put me in touch with the Doctor who kindly knitted the net for me, he refused payment but I got round it by sending a cheque for him to pass on to a charity of his choice ! Contrary to what has been put in an advertisement the good Doctor did not knit nets for B James, he did it for me as I was a friend of Jim Hindle. Hope that helps Leigh ?
JPC, many thanks, I took that photograph of the landing nets when I met Len at the Moat a few years ago - As you can imagine there was a lot going on that morning and Len did explain, but I had forgotten its history.

If that is the case Leigh then they are almost certainly landing nets belonging to Keith Hilton, the knotless mesh came from the same source as mine.

L-Net1.jpg
L-Net2.jpg
L-Net3.jpg
L-Net4.jpg
L-Net5.jpg

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I was lucky enough to see some of these famous nets at The Moat a couple of years ago. Talking to Len was a real pleasure, it made a great day even better!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:24 pm I was lucky enough to see some of these famous nets at The Moat a couple of years ago. Talking to Len was a real pleasure, it made a great day even better!
Here you are, Ted, with Len & Stu
Ted.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Thanks Leigh, I have a few pictures of that day at The Moat, it is a special place!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”