The canvas gas mask bag

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
RobGoodwin
Minnow

The canvas gas mask bag

Post by RobGoodwin »

Who started off their fishing carrying their kit in a canvas gas mask bag? I subsequently graduated from the gas mask bag to the khaki ex-army canvas haversack. I had a light alloy folding garden chair which was retained under the straps of the haversack, as was the folded triangular landing net. My Edgar Sealy Octofloat split cane rod, landing net handle, and home-made rod rest were lashed to the crossbar of my trusty push bike (Sturmey-Archer 3 speed gears naturally). Sustained by cheese and onion sandwiches and a bottle of dandelion + burdock, and protected from the elements by a cheap Boyes, Pac-O-mac, I thought nothing of 12 miles each way and an 8 or 9 hour session between. I'd end up in intensive care if I tried it now!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: The canvas gas mask bag

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I've graduated to a WWII ammo pouch :-)

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Sounds like heaven, what we would give to go back in time for just one day to savour these moments one more time.
I’m too young to have used or even remember gas mask bags, my childhood was jam butties and floats that came free on the front of angling times, we all learned to fish on our local pond and we used small fold out tackle boxes or repurposed tool boxes.
I still sometimes ask my wife to make jam butties wrapped in greaseproof paper for my fishing trips.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I don't think it was a gas mask bag but my grand father's old work haversack served me well as it had done for him over many years working in the Somerset coal mines. It was grubby - of course - but it was a connection to him and it easily held every item of tackle I owned and my sandwiches. I doubt it would hold all my hooks and floats nowadays.

Like Neil said, a look back to those innocent childhood days when we dreamed of possibilities but remained content in our inabilities.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

My Dad was an engine driver on the GWR from the 1920's through the war and into the diesel age. He always went off to work with a sturdy leather bag with clips on the back and I always believed it to be an army motorcycle pannier bag. Sometime in the 50's he passed it on to me and I used it as my stalking bag when I wasn't using the wicker seat basket. Where it went I know not, but I wish I still had it.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Funnily enough, I still use both a 37 pattern small and large pack. The small one is RAF issue dated 42. The large one is good for a bit of carrying light with rod and landing net. You're still able to get them at a reasonable price I believe.
Regards Cat

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

My first tackle bag was my leather school satchel, decanted of note books and pencils when I went out fishing. Oh happy days.

Dom. :)

Joe Croesor
Minnow

Post by Joe Croesor »

I tend to use a DDR gas mask bag
but on occasion I've used dad's gas mask bag, I've got a couple of '37 pattern large packs and I'm in two minds of what to do with them, I could be up for swapping them

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

It was the pain of the wicker basket digging in across a shoulder and occasionally swinging wildly to one side for me! We used to stop at a pre arranged spot so we could swap shoulders. I had an ancient 'sit up and beg' bicycle that my peers all laughed at until it came time to forge along dirt tracks to the brick works, where their narrow tyred racers were found wanting. I did buy a gasmask bag to carry the battery for a homemade lamping kit. That will have been 1983. I still have it in the back of my farm truck as a tool bag. Both of the surplus shops in my area are long gone now, as are the tackle shops.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I still have my haversack which was a tackle bag, school bag and college / work bag. Indestructible things thet are. I keep it in the car now for mooching round boot sales.
The small gas mask bags were our sea fishing bags as kids and we would walk all over town wearing the asbestos rich gas masks, we even went to the flicks with them on. Saturday morning matinee, how brill was that.

Wal.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”