Catapults

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Plumtart
Ruffe

Catapults

Post by Plumtart »

To save me from ruining yet another piece of leather (I have resorted to thick paper, now) does anyone have a proven or plausible pattern for a catapult pouch. I should have disassembled the old one before throwing it away. So silly.

W.
What Great Ones do, the Less will prattle on. Wm. Shakespeare. Twelfth Night.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: Catapults

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Plumbtart, You don't say what the catapult is to be used for. Lets assume its for ground bait. Conical [pouches with a tag at the pointed end work well and don't crush the baits or the maggots drop out. The size of the pouch is dependant upon the width of the forks or if to large a facefull of maggots results. Know from experience . Tony

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Hi Tony:

It'll be a maggots job, mainly. But if my catapult making improves (no sign of that so far) I may make a few of different sizes.

My problem is that I seem to be incapable of cutting out a flat shape in leather that then sews up to form a proper shaped pouch.

It occurred to me that others must have been this way before, but if no-one has such a pattern I'll just keep experimenting with paper until something plausible emerges. In fact, since my first mail I've cut out one or two that might serve OK.

Worst case, I'll buy a plastic catapult from a tackle shop, deconstruct the pouch to get the shape, then re-make in leather and give the (mended) shop-bought thing to a lad at the pond who looks as though he might be pleased with it.

Thanks. Will.
What Great Ones do, the Less will prattle on. Wm. Shakespeare. Twelfth Night.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

When I first made my own catapults in the mid 70s - I use shop-bought ones now - I used to bend a cheap steel rod rest into shape for the frame and just use an old leather shoe tongue as the pouch which was basically a flat piece of leather. I would shape the ends of the tongue and bind the elastic to it. Although some of the catapults I use have shaped pouches I also use ones with flat mesh pouches which work just as well.
Image (9).jpg
Image (8).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fish
Bleak

Post by Fish »

use the maggot pouch from an old maggot catty,get some theraband for the bands,job done.
"Go fishing in the morning, work in a factory in the afternoon."
Karl Marx.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”