A Little Time Capsule.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

A Little Time Capsule.

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello There

On Saturday I won a lot at Netherhampton Sporting Auction. A box of Reels, tackle boxes, floats etc. I still have a few tackle boxes to go through, but I mainly got this to use some of the tackle, boxes and obviously the reels. But when I opened this Stewart's box it was like a little time capsule.

Who owned the tackle? I also found a name on a membership card for Ongar & District Angling Society. Mr I.F or J.F Robins.... Does anybody belong to or know of the club, they are still going (found online) and have been so for a while, formed in 1948.

Here is some of the contents. Notice the the big Swan quill "The Wave Rider"

My quandary is.... Do I leave it as it is, or do I sort through and use some of the tackle. :Hide:
Last edited by Tonytoned on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: A little time capsule.

Post by Marc »

Use the tackle. To much is (and I’m as guilty as anyone) hung on walls, stuffed in cupboards or bags. It was made to be used and should be. A wonderful find, I hope it brings you years of joy.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

I was going to go but I landed up with a cracked car wheel so didnt want to risk the long trip for me.

Very nice, I like to keep things as they are when I find them. I like to think that whoever put something together would like them left together.
I almost see it as bad luck if I seperate items.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Marc wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 pm Use the tackle. To much is (and I’m as guilty as anyone) hung on walls, stuffed in cupboards or bags. It was made to be used and should be. A wonderful find, I hope it brings you years of joy.
Thank you Marc. I probably will use it at some point.

:Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Gobio Gobio wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:46 pm I was going to go but I landed up with a cracked car wheel so didnt want to risk the long trip for me.

Very nice, I like to keep things as they are when I find them. I like to think that whoever put something together would like them left together.
I almost see it as bad luck if I seperate items.
Thank you Paul. PM Sent. :Hat:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I'm a member of ODAS, have been since I moved there 1983.... I cannot recognise the name and going by the tackle and the handwriting it looks to have belonged to a member of a certain age.... Ongar are still going strong and have a couple of lovely waters, I still fish them regularly....
I will ask some of our older members if they know of the chap... A nice find Sir... :Hat:

Addendum....
Looking at the membership card it is before I joined the club as it wasn't affiliated to the LAA when I joined and I don't recognise the design of the membership card....

I will ask some of the older members if they know of the chap...!
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Harry wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:10 pm I'm a member of ODAS, have been since I moved there 1983.... I cannot recognise the name and going by the tackle and the handwriting it looks to have belonged to a member of a certain age.... Ongar are still going strong and have a couple of lovely waters, I still fish them regularly....
I will ask some of our older members if they know of the chap... A nice find Sir... :Hat:

Addendum....
Looking at the membership card it is before I joined the club as it wasn't affiliated to the LAA when I joined and I don't recognise the design of the membership card....

I will ask some of the older members if they know of the chap...!
Thank you very much Harry. I feel I should leave the tackle box as is. It is a shame the season date on the card wasn't filled out. But at least we now it's possibly before the millennium.

:Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

The address reads as
Whyd-n-am. Hay Green Lane. Doddinghurst near Brentwood - Essex

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”