Skips , little tins and Mahogany

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Old Man River
Eel

Skips , little tins and Mahogany

Post by Old Man River »

Today I was summoned to the Dragon in Laws home for to trim back bushes, on approach I noticed a well stocked skip parked outside her neighbour "Mad Jeans " house, As a founder member of the skip scratters assosc I was obliged to have a quick peek inside, it is the law as we know.

There was treasure .

Well, I call it treasure, a nice bit of mahogany , and a small air rifle pellet tin circa 1971 or before, I am fairly sure of this as the tin had a label still attached proclaiming it had cost 1/6p .

So now , having these bits I have to make a small mahogany and ply tackle box, with fitted compartments for a certain small tin . Its the Law you know . :Thumb:

OMR

PS, the tin is actually on an oak table, the meeogny is in dire need of attention.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Skips , little tins and Mahogany

Post by LuckyLuca »

"Skip scratters assosc" sign me up!

I do love a rummage. Great treasure!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I have a tradition of rummaging through the skip used by boaters at a nearby lock on the Thames. In the past I have rescued near new ropes and fenders that have been discarded by posh white gin palaces because they couldn't be bothered to wash a bit of green algae off. I also found a tub of fresh lob worms which caught me some decent perch. Otherwise I mainly rescue nice pieces of marine plywood.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Sign me up for that club too! I realize this isn't strictly in the `Other items of traditional tackle' category, but a few weeks ago, I extracted a 6-foot, apparently unused, c***** f***** spinning rod from a neighbour's rubbish bin. I think he was clearing out his recently married son's stuff from the basement. I can't decide whether to use it in the vegetable garden to support the beans, or to pass it on to a youngster who might use it. Quite the dilemma!

G. B.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Nothing absolutely nothing surprises me when it comes to skip finds - although having said that I am not a habitual looker inner - perhaps I should give it a go - it’s being able to find them when your in the mood - or perhaps the trick is one is always in the mood and on the look out - so then it would seem it’s in your DNA so I’ll ‘skip’ this (sorry) pastime and leave it to the devotees. Well done all.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Oh i do love a decent skip, i find it very theraputic having a good rummage. The strangest thing i ever took home from a skip was a pair of forks from a fork lift truck at a factory i deliver to regularly. God they were heavy. I still dont know why i took them, but i took them back about two month later and put them back in the skip. I think i just got a bit giddy at finding them there and didnt think at all as i dragged them out of said skip.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi bindivers, One ,but not my only great find was a three piece cane rod with a hollow glass top joint. Alas the bottom section was broken but repaired then thrown away! I salvaged it for the fittings which were in first class order. However just for devilment I took it to the waterside and used what was and is a perfectly serviceable general rod.I still have it and after twenty years, I must reaquainte myself with this prize! Tony

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi bindivers, One ,but not my only great find was a three piece cane rod with a hollow glass top joint. Alas the bottom section was broken but repaired then thrown away! I salvaged it for the fittings which were in first class order. However just for devilment I took it to the waterside and used what was and is a perfectly serviceable general rod.I still have it and after twenty years, I must reaquainte myself with this prize! Tony

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”