Jakes Rakes

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Martin James
Eel

Jakes Rakes

Post by Martin James »

Last season I lost a double sided weed rake that had been made by a blacksmith in Ireland in the 1950’s, there have been many occasions when I have had to strip off then dive in to retrieve the rake, on one occasion it remained in the depths of a Gloucestershire gravel pit for several months. Eventually the following May as I paddled around in my small boat I spotted the rake. Ten minutes later I was reunited my old friend, even if I was blue with cold. Then last year the rake got hooked up on the Wye in a far too dangerous place for me to go in the river. I tied the rope off on a tree, today after all the big floods the rake is still in the river. I was talking to Rob of RB Traditional of my problem when he mentioned Jakes Rakes, I immediately ordered one costing me less than £40-00 which included postage. I’m more than pleased with my purchase.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Re: Jakes Rakes

Post by GhyllManor »

Looks just the job, and not too heavy.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Martin, I've had one for a few years - I find it a very good product. Only used it on small ponds though, never tried it on a river (it is not heavy, so might not be the best in a strong flow).

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Garry I quite agree, it will be used on still waters, canals and slow flowing rivers, the reason for using my other rake on the Wye was to try and remove a large tree branch, I had it moving then it snagged on something that I wasn't able to move.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”