Wicker/Cane fishing baskets

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Wicker/Cane fishing baskets

Post by Barbelseeker »

I stated in my introduction that my father made wicker fishing baskets from the late 1950's into the mid 1980's and here is an example of what he did and how I recogonise them. This was made circa 1970, and defintely before 1974, because it was made for the son of the foreman where I did my apprenticeship.
Firstly, the tight weave of the basket which increased in stability.
Secondly - the hinges, at least 4-6 bands of Cane or twisted willow - filling the full length of the slot, to prevent twisting or longitudinal movement.
next - the webbing slot - always fairly fine, so the webbing didn't collapse in the slot,
Next - positioning of the nails (1") in the legs at the corners, top and botton, at least twice - this is to prevent the wicker moving, which again once it does, affects stability.
Also the tops of the legs was always bare.
Lastly, looking after them - like greenheart rods - do not let them completely dry out and go brittle. Totally Immerse in water , scrub at least once per year, and perhaps every 5 years add a coat of light varnish.

Last edited by Barbelseeker on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: Wicker/Cane fishing baskets

Post by Black Prince »

Good and strong that basket wouldn’t get a wobble on that one my father made cartridge bags I could recognise one off his also :Hat: mike

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

That looks a quality build very nice indeed.
:Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very nice. Also a good check list of things we can all look out for when selecting creels, thank you!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

What a sturdy looking item of kit, built to last a lifetime.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

That looks a very well made, high quality basket. Your Father was clearly a very skilful craftsman. Have you ever tried your hand at making a basket?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Looks great , must admit always fancied making one.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Yes, I did - couldn't get the neat wrapping around corners or the willow tightly packed in the uprights. So progressed to drilling the bases for tea trays and making a few of them - BUT in exchange for this for many hours of scrubbing the baskets and varnishing them before sale. He could, despite having a Caretakers job at the local school, knock up about 8-10 baskets a week, when retired from that about 20-25. He would start at 7:00, do 1 &1/2 hours, school, baskets at dinner, school afternoon and work until 9:00 pm. All in an outside shed attached to the garage, with a pot bellied stove as company, and a tin bath to soak the willow.
Last edited by Barbelseeker on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I’ve got two and they’re not comfortable on my backside. We use one as a makeshift Moses basket stand at present and the other we keep the sticks for the fire in. Yours looks much better quality than either of mine.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Just an update - father's baskets varied in size from 4 legs to 6 legs, big enough to hold at least 6 biscuit tins of Maggots. His biggest every was made for Steve Calcott of Sheffield, when I can just remember it being displayed in the window as the largest Basket and there was also a very large float (anyone got any photographs of that please - his shop front with both items)
QUESTION.
Would anyone be interested in a new wicker basket. I MAY and it is a big may, might be able to get some prices from a very distinct relative in lands far away, to make some using mine as a sample. Just a probing question at this time.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”