Hoxton Brothers "Black Box/Throne" Help!!!

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Fredline
Tench

Hoxton Brothers "Black Box/Throne" Help!!!

Post by Fredline »

The first thing you will notice about this late Victorian pole anglers "throne' is that it is not black, the Black Box or Throne has become purely generic as most where painted black. For a wooden artisan angling item to last in this condition after a possible 100+ years is quite amazing. It is completely constructed in mahogany with dovetailed joints throughout. The simple cabinet clasp on the lid is a joy to see and adds to its charm. It is missing its leather carrying straps and the upper lid finger catch.These seat boxes were very often made by joiners working around the "East End of the City" as a side line. The owners name plate inset into the lid carries the legend "J Jevans Hoxton Brothers Angling Society" and this is where I have hit the proverbial brick wall. There is very little information regarding this angling society or J Jevans on the net. Jevans is not a very common surname. I have found a J Jevans from Hackney on a 1917 war grave but that is all. Can anyone enhance the provenance of this piece,its original owner or Hoxton Brothers Angling Society history? Many thanks Fredline.ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Fredline on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Hoxton Brothers "Black Box/Throne" Help!!!

Post by Aitch »

Wow... what a lovely box.... back in the 70's I had one very much like it, although mine was made by my angling mentor, Norman Frere (sadly passed away now) I wish I'd kept it... mine had an inner tray for floats shot etc... boxes such as this are hard to find and very expensive to reproduce... sorry I'm unable to shed any light on the box, but it did bring back some nice memories of fishing with Norman...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

If you look at this link, it seems they could have been based at The Jane Shore, pub? Scroll down when you click the link to Hoxton. I had a look on the pub history site hoping to see Jevans as a landlord.. but No! that would have been nice :Hat:

https://thetuesdayswim.com/2015/02/04/l ... ickens-jr/

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Hi can't find any info on Mr J Jevans but the Hoxton Brothers A S were from the Jane Shore pub Shorditch High Sreet they were very prominent around the second half of the 1800 s . One of their members was T.H.Sowerbutts , in 1874 Tom Hughs and Richard Ghurney of the society promoted a competition called the Great Roach Angling Sweepstake at the Crown Fishery on the Lea at Broxbourne Bridge with the first prize being £10 , sixty five anglers paid 10 shillings each to enter there was eight cash prizes and the ninth was a fishing hat . Your post has given me a mission to find out more about this subject .
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline, have you considered checking the electoral registers from the 1850s-1890s, given the timeframe provided by KenSowerbutts? If the name is fairly uncommon, then a search should be straightforward. Getting an address can be a huge help in tracking someone down.

They are available and searchable on-line with ancestry sites. Also, last few times I did this, I simply made an appointment with the Local Authority Electoral Registration office. I was able to examine the paper copies of the register.

Given we are probably talking about Shoreditch, Hoxton and Haggerston areas, these would now be in the care of the London Borough of Hackney, though back then I think they would have been in the Borough of Shoreditch. Though, it’s possible, he may have lived just inside Bethnal Green (now Tower Hamlets) or even the City I suppose.

There were fewer registered electors back then, so the search shouldn’t be that lengthy if you are good at scanning pages for a name. On-line is easy but there is a fee for full access. I always start closest to today and work backwards in time as the number of people registered back then declines as you move back in time.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Ihttps://www.familysearch.org/search/record/resu ... %3AEngland I found this on the Family search site of The church of later day saints.. something to trawl through and then maybe look at ancestry sites.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Thanks Reedling, a great place for info, however it sure has opened a can of worms. Jevans is not a very common name today but 100 years ago in the "east end of the city" there were lots with that surname. They were probably mostly related as families did not move very far in those days. So I have picked on one that more than fits the bill for this box.
Joseph John Jevans born 1862 in Bethnal Green. Married to Margaret Jevans and had 2 sons, Joseph and Thomas. Occupation Clock Maker. He died in 1917 and is buried in France. The reason I picked Joseph John was because of the inserted nameplate, his age and location. Who would have access to the equipment or the skills to be able to inscribe such a nameplate? The box is beautifully dovetailed with a very nice cabinet clasp inserted into the lid. A clockmaker fits perfectly.
There are 5 other J Jevans from the Hackney / Bethnal Green area whose occupations included--Pork Butcher--Joiner--Silk Winder--Wire Rope Maker and French Polisher but I have chosen Joseph John because it sounds so much more romantic to state "a classy clockmaker made my box".
Consider this very much work in progress.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I hoped it was of some help to you Fredline and good luck with your quest. I used this site to help confirm a family tree of my family which I was given many years ago by a distant relative. I confirmed most back to early 1700's with this site but still have many records going back to 1500's around Chichester and Newhaven that you just cannot tie in exactly. It is a good site though and no cost!

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Really enjoying this thread , keep us up to speed on anything else that comes to light
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

MoleFisher
Stickleback

Post by MoleFisher »

He was indeed a member of Hoxton Brothers in 1874 and featured in their competitions,often winning.
MN

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”