Traditional Ledger Bobbins

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
JAA

Re: Traditional Ledger Bobbins

Post by JAA »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:50 am I used to make mine with a wine cork (or half of one) and a couple of map pins. A net curtain hook on the other end to attach to some line or cord, stops it from flying into the bushes and away you go. Painted white or fluoro orange they looked very chic.
Used to do almost the same. I used champagne corks, painted the bottom end orange, bored a 'bit less than swan-shot sized' hole in the bottom and glued a plastic covered paper-clip into the other end, which was then opened out into a wide hook to go over the line.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I made a video on this a while back. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URMjP8dJ8tk
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nice one MD.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A late teenagers we just cut a slit in the top of the cork with a piece of line/string/-- attached to the bottom.

Previously we used bread dough as bobbins - can easily be made into various sizes/weights. The dough bobbin usually being attached in front of the tip ring so it acted in a similar fashion to a swingtip.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Mark wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:37 amNice one MD.
By the way the youtube embedding link button thingy is broken.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Make sure you tie the bobbin to the rod rest with some line tied onto the bottom hole.
Fill them with something to give weight or leave empty and clip onto the line between the butt ring and second ring and have it suspended just off the ground. As it lifts.... Strike! :)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

I make mine from table tennis ball white or orange ,a length of discarded blind cord ,a modern adjustable line clip robbed off a keep modern one which I found and a length of 15lb nylon.SSG shot

1. make a hole top and bottom in the ball.
2.thread the 15lb line through the holes and attach the line clip .
3 pass the line back through the ball.
4. tie the line off to form a loop and then tie again to form a smaller loop
5. pull the line so the line clip sits neatly on top of the ball and then pinch a a ssg shot on the line at the bottom of the ball -this keeps the line clip in place.You can add further shot to the line when fishing if required
6.Attach the cord to the small loop made in the line and this can then be tied to the rod rest. or make a small winder so you can use this to adjust the length of the cord when fishing ,I then use a small velcro strap to attach this to the rod rest instead of tying it.You can also just velcro the cord to the rest at the desired length without the winder.
It is a very sensitive and visible bobbin

...quit traditional in spirit as it is made from odds and ends......I will leave it with you to decide!
Regards
Nige.

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Mine are based on the design on page 27 of Peter Stone's excellent book Gravel Pit Angling. A round drilled piece of cork 3/4-inch in diameter with a hair grip pushed through it to clip on the line, and a long piece of wool to tether the bottom of the hairgrip loosely to a rod rest or the ground so it doesn't fly off when you strike. The whole thing weighs 1.5 grams. It's easy to substitute a 1/2-inch orange plastic ball. I only made them because I lost my last Fairy Liquid bottle top!

G. B.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Come on chaps, let's see some home made bobbin photos!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Black Prince wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:27 am I have 4 genuine fairy liquid tops from the 1970s I used to use at Ffestiniog power station north wales when ledgering for trout scared to use them any more mike
Watch it, they'll be appearing on a well known car boot sale website as "vintage fishing tackle" at £75 a pair! Loose talk costs ££££££s.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”