Vintage Pike Lures

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Vintage Pike Lures

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have a small collection of vintage lures.

This photo shows my vintage surface lures. I love surface lure fishing for pike. It's incredibly exciting!! The mouse was featured on a great episode of "Go Fishing" with John Wilson (who has to be the happiest angler ever with that laugh of his). I have caught several pike on modern surface lures and cannot wait to give these vintage ones a go. I especially want to catch on the mouse as Wilson failed to if memory serves me right and I would like to prove the design.

The second photo shows some subsurface lures. I'll not be risking casting with these as they are more likely to be lost.

I was lucky enough to be given a few of these by kind members of the TFF community. And I won some more in the APBTW perch fishing challenge for my "smallest perch". :Chuckle: Some (the crazy crawlers and the jitterbug) are eBay purchases.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

MaggotDrowner wrote:I have a small collection of vintage lures.

This photo shows my vintage surface lures. I love surface lure fishing for pike. It's incredibly exciting!! The mouse was featured on a great episode of "Go Fishing" with John Wilson (who has to be the happiest angler ever with that laugh of his). I have caught several pike on modern surface lures and cannot wait to give these vintage ones a go. I especially want to catch on the mouse as Wilson failed to if memory serves me right and I would like to prove the design.

The second photo shows some subsurface lures. I'll not be risking casting with these as they are more likely to be lost.

I was lucky enough to be given a few of these by kind members of the TFF community. And I won some more in the APBTW perch fishing challenge for my "smallest perch". :Chuckle: Some (the crazy crawlers and the jitterbug) are eBay purchases.

Lovely collection that MD! I think I will have to invest in some of those vintage surface numbers... :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Not wishing to pick holes MD but the right hand middle lure in your 'subsurface' selection looks very much like another surface lure. Those propellers kick up a great wake and pike hit them hard!

Jitterbugs and Crazy Crawlers should come with a warning certificate as takes when fishing with them are not for the faint hearted.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Dave Burr wrote:Not wishing to pick holes MD but the right hand middle lure in your 'subsurface' selection looks very much like another surface lure. Those propellers kick up a great wake and pike hit them hard!

Jitterbugs and Crazy Crawlers should come with a warning certificate as takes when fishing with them are not for the faint hearted.
It could well be, Dave. I'm no expert. I'll have a cast with it and see when the rivers open again.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MHC

Post by MHC »

Crazy Crawlers, Spooks (with props), and Mouse are all Heddon lures and are still made by Heddon in the US. I remember first reading of them in Bullers book, 'Pike' and seeing the photos tried to track them down. This was in 1975 or so, only Bental's in Kingston had a few in their sporting department. Lure fishing appealed to me greatly when I was a boy, though I moved to on to ABU lures.

If you get a chance try a Heddon Jitterbug, fished slowly on the surface at low light or at night when you can hear it's rhythmic and gentle (come hither..) plosh ploshing across the surface. I found the Crazy Crawlers did not always track properly as their wings sometimes altered angle on casting.

John Milford

Post by John Milford »

Arbogast Jitterbug. Marginally easier to use than the Heddon Crazy Crawler but both are great fun. The CC works better with the rod tip elevated to keep the trace from dragging the nose of the lure too low, which can otherwise inhibit the action.

Keeping the rod tip high also delays the strike, which is no bad thing with surface lures and will actually improve hook up rates.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Still have a Big S from 1985 and then the same red and white plug as pictured at the top of the post. I don't know the name of it though. Another vote for Mepps, took a nice jack today.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have a selection of modern lures, and a few vintage ones as well, funny thing is I never really thought about them at all until I read this post, here they are..

The copper spoon on the right is an original Hardy,with 3 nonedescript kidney spoons,

The lures on the left, well I dont know much about them, the smallest is a " Hedon" something or other, I had a Chub on that one , years ago on the River Wharfe, the others are pretty much a mystery, I cant ever remember using the largest, its a strange thing with a " propeller" at each end.

Picture upload failed, will try again later :doh:

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I was goingto upload a photo of a couple of vintage luresI have, but the system seems to have a bug and I cant seem to get tinypic to work, will try later :doh:

OMR

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Finally Managed !

OMR

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”