Vintage Pike Lures

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Vintage Pike Lures

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Perhaps it is looking hungry because it is still so unseasonably warm? Although today is quite a bit cooler.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I did try an 8-9 weight rod and a wire trace with some pike flies a few years back. Ruddy hard to lay them down without a splash ........which may be why I only caught jacks..... :Hahaha:

I was particularly on edge to be frank as the water I was fishing has one of the biggest pikes I have ever seen in it. A positively scary fish that actually seemed to stalk me once! :surrender: I felt like a wildebeest looking a lion in the eye.

John Milford

Post by John Milford »

Has anybody ever tried these? (These are from my display collection, but I'd be tempted to try any slightly tattier examples I might come across).

The wooden plugs below are also from my collection and rather too good to fish with, but I have others in poorer cosmetic condition that I shall be trying in the new season.

WhiteWolf
Minnow

Post by WhiteWolf »

Here are some of mine. I'm guessing that the one second from the top is over 50 years old (at least).

MHC

Post by MHC »

I was given this lure over 30 years ago. Not realising what I had, at the time I gave it a polish and it came up real nice. I am pleased that I was not tempted to use it as I have found that it is quite valuable and sought after. Made by the jeweller Gregory in the late 1880's the Cleopatra came in several sizes , and two versions, articulated and straight (as mine is at 4.5") , a jewellery maker has confirmed upon inspection that it is hollow yet solid silver spinning on a central pin.

Not being a lure collector, I have recently sold it for (a surprising) almost 500 pounds to a UK collector, I am pleased that held on to it. It pays to check what you have before you use it.

However, as with bamboo rods, old does not always mean valuable.

Image Image

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

MHC - you are a lucky chap to be given something that turned out so valuable - but it does look hideous doesn't it.

John and Whitewolf, if any of those plugs are made of wood they will probably become more valuable in time but they will also out fish most plastics.

Rubber lures will doubtless be a great collectors item in decades to come because they are a throw away commodity and they have a tendency to degrade during storage. You heard it here first folks :Wink:

WhiteWolf
Minnow

Post by WhiteWolf »

The top three in my picture are wood, the bottom one is plastic. It looks to me as though a couple of John's are the same as mine.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Dave Burr wrote:MHC - you are a lucky chap to be given something that turned out so valuable - but it does look hideous doesn't it. :

Have to disagree with you there Dave. :Scared: I think it looks amazing, stunning bit of craftsmanship. That said, all those hooks look a bit barbaric... :cheers:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Scott wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:MHC - you are a lucky chap to be given something that turned out so valuable - but it does look hideous doesn't it. :

Have to disagree with you there Dave. :Scared: I think it looks amazing, stunning bit of craftsmanship. That said, all those hooks look a bit barbaric... :cheers:
I think 'barbaric' is a far better word to describe it Scott, I really must get a thesaurus. :Thumb:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

WhiteWolf wrote:The top three in my picture are wood, the bottom one is plastic. It looks to me as though a couple of John's are the same as mine.
Your bottom one is along the lines of a Chub Creek Pikie - find a genuine early one in wood and its very collectable. Not that I collect lures, I'm more a donator for anybody willing to pull them out of trees and bushes :Hahaha:

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”