the heron bite alarm

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
PDuffield
Grayling

Re: the heron bite alarm

Post by PDuffield »

Just came across this in a 1961 Allcocks Anglers Guide - a clockwork bite indicator called the Allcock-Edginton.

Anyone got or seen one of these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MarkPrice1968

Post by MarkPrice1968 »

hi all

after a little info really , i have a le-aston surestrike mk 2 bite alarm brand new in the box with paper work could any of you please give me a little info on this bite alarm , cant seem to find anything on the net

kind regards
mark

Boloa

Post by Boloa »

I bought my first Herons from Ken Brown in Bromley.He would sell you you the heads separately so you could make up your own sounder box if you wished.Two heads could be run off one sounder box and silver paper bobbins as indicators ( easily seen even on those darkest nights :wink: ) as the heads had on bulb or LED's. I see a few of the members have poo-poo-ed the Herons saying they went off in the wind and buzzed intermittently at night .The secret was to tape a matchstick just above the butt to act as line clips,I never had problems with my faithful old HeronsImage

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

pduffield wrote:Just came across this in a 1961 Allcocks Anglers Guide - a clockwork bite indicator called the Allcock-Edginton.

Yes I have one in perfect working order, if in a rather odd lilac colour. There's a tension screw for sensitivity and I think it will be audible enough but I have never used it in anger. I mean to put some cushioning over the rod rest bit as it seems a little sharp for my precious canes. No instructions and only by chance reading an old Allcocks Guide did I spot it and finally fathom how it works!
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

pduffield wrote:Just came across this in a 1961 Allcocks Anglers Guide - a clockwork bite indicator called the Allcock-Edginton.

I reckon the short and pointed steel bank-stick which came with it would probably be classed as an offensive weapon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Nick

Post by Nick »

Was only talking about herons the other nite, as my mate still has his late fathers herons. From what he was saying that they were modified back then from new.
He said there was something different to them compared to the normal herons, so he will bring them down one night for me to take a picture of them.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

I still use mine and have no problems with it - just make sure that the bobbin has sufficient weight. Adding a couple of shot to the cord does the trick..

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Boy do I love this forum :Thumb: Everyone

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Herons ? Either put them in a display case for traditional posterity and happy memories from decades ago or get them converted !

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”