Vintage style rucksack

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Hermit
Rudd

Vintage style rucksack

Post by Hermit »

A couple of years ago whilst looking for a new hat I wandered into a gun smiths which sold country attire and I spotted this traditional looking rucksack. It was made of canvas and leather, big enough for my needs and I thought it looked really nice so I bought it. When I got home I tried it out with my gear in and it was perfect. Trouble is my 16yr old daughter thought so too and wanted it for a school bag. Well you know in the end they always win so the rucksack was destined to have the best field test of any rucksack ever made.

Two years later, after constant use carrying heavy loads, books, PE kit, packed lunches and no doubt thrown around all over, exposed to the elements on the half mile walk home from school...it has scars. But it has survived and I have finally got around to buying my own.

The reason for this post is to let you know of the product and how it has performed. It's a Browning Heritage Rucksack - I don't know where it is made and I am aware there are some very good products available which are made in the UK but anyway here's some photo's of the old and the new;
As you can see from the above the pocket stitching has come away from the pocket but my daughter says this was due to her trying to remove her drink bottle without un-buckling the strap! Some wear at the bottom of the strap too.
There is a lining and a pocket inside the bag. The bags were stuffed with two pillows for these shots.

When fully loaded the rucksack isn't as comfortable as modern rucksacks. It's not waterproof and the buckles on the pockets take longer to open than the modern plastic clips. But it's pretty bomb proof and has that lovely feel of natural product as well as harmonizing with your vintage tackle. They retail for about £95, not cheap but I'm so glad I've finally got one of my own.

I expect I'll end up with the old one though!
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Vintage style rucksack

Post by Loop Erimder »

Certainly looks the part, very nice :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Nice Hermit,

Having a 14year old I know exactly how daughters minds work. I would bet money you end up with the used version!

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

Ooooh I like.
Mark

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

That's a nice looking bag. I'm a fan of traditional rucks but prefer cheaper army surplus. Picked up this Norwegian patrol pack for £30, it's unissued, waterproof (now that I've waxed it), and the quality of the material is outstanding, thick canvas with leather straps which are an incredible 5mm thick. Highly recommended if you can find one.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

For those of you looking for very very nice vintage rucksacks: http://www.wynnchester.co.uk/
I can recommend the company, very good service. A bit pricey though. Best, Bobby

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Very nice - all of them ! I think I might still have the chance of a creel though to go with the Fox bag and the LL Bean travel rucksack - but I do like these rucksacks too ! There again if I could I would also have a new Range Rover Vogue, a Ferrari, two Porsche - a 911 and Boxster "S" Class and a VW "Splittie" too coupled with my own 8 acre Old Estate Lake, a second house in Provence, two Green Whipped MK IVs and unlimited funds to pay for fishing, shooting and holidays.........

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/component/vi ... l?Itemid=0

These are great, cheap and very robust, I use mine for everything. ( no connection etc )
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”