With thanks to Robbi, a master leather craftsman

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Tengisgol
Barbel

With thanks to Robbi, a master leather craftsman

Post by Tengisgol »

This story begins with me having watched in awe and jealousy the amazing work with leather that had been created by Robbi and displayed here on the Forum.

My fishing challenge will be recognised by all those with young children, namely finding the time to angle and yet with minimal impact on my family. Over the years I have chased about the country (and beyond) in search of nice places to fish but that doesn't really fit with my lifestyle nowadays so I needed to look a little closer. Using a pin, some thread and a map of the city, and sticking the pin in the cathedral (sorry big fella), I drew a radius and challenged myself to find some good fishing within the circle. That's not easy, we aren't talking Hereford you know, but I was working on the old adage about the 'camp pool'; often the best fishing can be under your nose (so ignore it at your peril!) as opposed to an eight mile walk (or a ninety mile drive) away! So the concept of 'In and Around' was born, in my head at least.

Anyhow - if I was to make the most of what little time I had - grabbing an hour here and there before the family stirred, everything had to be primed and ready. No time for adjusting floats, this was to be real 'smash and grab', urban angling.

Late one night I had an epiphany that culminated in the delivery of a truly wonderful piece of craftsmanship. What I needed were some float winders. Ah, and what I also needed was something aesthetically acceptable to carry them in and to protect my 'hard graft' elder floats.

That's where Robbi came in. I sent him some thoughts, followed by a sketched out design, and back came THE most perfect and wonderful leather pouch to protect my winders*. Here is yet another example of the wonderful camaraderie and incredible eclectic mix of talent that is the Traditional Fisherman's Forum.

So, this morning, I did a smash and grab raid in the City Centre. From bed to bank was less than twenty minutes and a wonderful two hours followed before the inhabitants stirred, the dog walkers appeared and the girls and boys had even thought of awakening from their Friday-night-Saturday-morning slumbers. I had a good baker's dozen of glorious 'goer' roach and a couple of nice chub to add that special thump thump to the rod tip.

Thank you Robbi, you have a very special talent Sir!

*i am not showing you the winders because currently they are horrible plastic things but I was watching my other half knit last night and I was thinking that her cane knitting needles might combine well with some reclaimed timber, to give me something more in keeping with my marvellous leather pouch! But don't tell her that, will you?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: With thanks to Robbi, a master leather craftsman

Post by NiceRoach »

Superb :Thumb:
niceroach

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Thank you Tengisgol :) chuffed you like it mate.

I know the size of the pouch.......that's a nice chub you have there :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Wonderful teamwork gentlemen. Tengisgol, excellent tactical execution and Robbie superb armoury and technical support. :Ok:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Lovely work both of you.

Tengisgol, I sympathise with the family bit, I also find it hard to grab some hours to spend on the bank unless pre-arranged.

I also havge my eye on the good ladies cane knitting needles too. We're two peas in a pod. :Chuckle: :Wink:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

That does look quality :Hat:

Robbie have you considered doing a case for a centrepin.....
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Floppy Hat

Post by Floppy Hat »

I need someone to make a replacement hat for my leather floppy hat. It is over 30 years old and has seen better days. It has travelled the world, climbed mountains, carried abandoned Belgian kittens to safety and has watched over all my summer fishing adventures for these years. I need a replacement made so it can retire. Anyone able to put me intouch with Mr Robbie. See Floppy hat with an 18lb carp caught on the River Oise, France, on 4lb line and a size 14 hook....I was only expecting a few roach!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I can't decide which is more magnificent, the carp or the hat!

Actually, the hat wins, in my humble opinion!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear sir,could you make a soft leather reel pouch for a 4 inch centre pin.Thank you Reelmaker

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”