Good Centre pin casting video

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Robbi
Tench

Good Centre pin casting video

Post by Robbi »

I know this isn't Wallace casting but it does look rather good, does anyone cast like this ?

I,ii have to give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAUHV1qAk8
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Good Centre pin casting video

Post by Snape »

I came across this video a while back and it looks like a really good cast but I can't see how it works.
He appears to release the spool whilst still on the back cast so I can't see how the weight changes direction and flies forwards.
I love to hear from someone who has succeeded at doing it.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Snape wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:31 pm I came across this video a while back and it looks like a really good cast but I can't see how it works.
He appears to release the spool whilst still on the back cast so I can't see how the weight changes direction and flies forwards (see my comment at the top which he never replied to).
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

My thoughts as well Snape but I think I've got it figured :)

As he's half way through the back swing I think he releases some of his finger pressure on the spool to get line running and spool turning but still retaining enough pressure to allow the rod to load a bit before the forward swing and full release of finger pressure at the required moment.

Bet I could end up in an awful mess but he does make it look very simple.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Hmmm...rocket science comes into my mind. A bit too much rocket science. And is that a table tennis ball he uses as weight??
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have watched this before in my constant search to get away from the "grommit" cast that I have to use.I will give a try but I think he is using a fairly heavy lure which enables him to load the rod and set the spool moving.
Mark Davies

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Snape wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:31 pm I came across this video a while back and it looks like a really good cast but I can't see how it works.
He appears to release the spool whilst still on the back cast so I can't see how the weight changes direction and flies forwards.
I agree, it works but I can't see how? Whatever he's doing he makes it look effortless.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I mentioned in the line guard posting, that I've trying to perfect the cast. I`m getting there slowly and Yes it does seem counter-intuitive, but it works, once you've loaded the rod* and I`m using a ½oz- 1oz weight...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23639&p=319364&hil ... rd#p319364

Here's another You Tube posting that maybe of assistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZyDgKZEgQE

* I`m not actually using a cane rod...

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Many steelhead fishers are absolute masters of the centrepin. A joy to look at. Bobby

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Some time back I gave this method a try with various floats/weights, it never worked for me the float just landed at my feet and the line over run. In sea fishing you have a similar cast which is called the pendulum but you keep your thumb firmly clamping the spool on the way back.

Return to “Fishing Films”