APFA original air dates

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Trevor
Eel

APFA original air dates

Post by Trevor »

Perhaps not in the right section, but there isn't a place for TV shows so this will do...
While researching something I came across a BBC website with archives of the Radio Times.
An interesting site for a little roam down memory lane, and after some poking around I found the listings for the original airings of APFA:

BBC2 6.50pm Sunday 5th September 1993 (after Sunday Grandstand)
A Passion For Angling.
Childhood Dreams.
Six programmes on the delights of angling.
In this first programme, presenters Chris Yates and Bob James relive the midsummer magic of their youth, revealing that the secret of success is not how to catch, but how to enjoy.

BBC2 6.45pm Sunday 12th September 1993
A Passion For Angling.
Redmire Legends.
The second programme in this series about the delights of angling provides a chance to witness the real ups and downs of carp fishing. In their attempts to outwit the elusive carp, fishermen use eccentric techniques involving scarecrows and trees.

BBC2 6.45pm Sunday 19th September 1993
A Passion For Angling.
In Search Of Salmon.
Bob James and Chris Yates learn the secrets of outwitting salmon and trout on the Tweed, in Scotland. When they visit the Spey, they find that the competition to fishermen comes from ospreys and otters.

Sunday 26th September 1993 No APFA! Possibly due to Ryder Cup coverage. Did we win that year?

BBC2 6.10pm Sunday 3rd October 1993
A Passion For Angling.
Autumn Glory.
Series on the delights of angling. Chris Yates and Bob James go perch fishing on Hampshire's Avon accompanied by Bernard Venables.

BBC2 6.10pm Sunday 10th October 1993
A Passion For Angling.
Midwinter Madness.
Bob James and Chris Yates go fishing on the River Kennet on an icy morning.

BBC2 6.10pm Sunday 17th October 1993
A Passion For Angling.
Monster Myths.
The last programme in the series uncovers a lake full of monster carp.

Information sourced from:
http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk

J.T
Catfish

Re: APFA original air dates

Post by J.T »

Good find Trevor! :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Yes, a friend of mine works at the Beeb and tells me that there is an archival process taking place to make all previously BBC broadcasts digital with a view to making them public.

Through the Genome site above I was able to find the listed time for the elusive 'Angler's Corner' epsiode featuring the perch - a much sought after program which appears to have gained almost mythical status.

However, after a bit of detective work within the corporation I'm told that this episode is no longer in the BBC archives as it was deleted after broadcast. A great shame I think.
Russ

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Ah, I was 13 at the time of the airing and had just asked for my first fishing rod and reel for my 14th birthday in November 93'. By a total fluke, being into natural history, me and my dad sat back to watch these programmes and that really was it. Before I'd even owned a rod and with only the experience of ten minutes sat watching a class mate of mine fishing on a little pond I was destined to be an angler and in time a cane fisher.

Along with working on farms, my dad giving me Led Zeppelin remasters' on double cassette, APFA is one of those life altering moments that I have; nearly wore the double VHS out, pausing rewinding. I really can't overstate the importance of it in my life.

I wrote to Hugh Miles a few years back and he included some of my comments in his blog, which just crowned it off with a cherry that did.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Would you believe I've managed to lose disc 2 of my copy! :doh:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

1993!!!! Good God where did all those years go????
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

The first episode to be filmed was the Redmire Legends one - first week of the season 1989 - 27 years ago - and still I can watch it repeatedly with the same enthusiasm, as I do with all the episodes. :cheers:

I think it will still be watched repeatedly by many in another 27 years time - 2043. :shocked:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Prince of Durham wrote:Ah, I was 13 at the time of the airing and had just asked for my first fishing rod and reel for my 14th birthday in November 93'. By a total fluke, being into natural history, me and my dad sat back to watch these programmes and that really was it. Before I'd even owned a rod and with only the experience of ten minutes sat watching a class mate of mine fishing on a little pond I was destined to be an angler and in time a cane fisher.

Along with working on farms, my dad giving me Led Zeppelin remasters' on double cassette, APFA is one of those life altering moments that I have; nearly wore the double VHS out, pausing rewinding. I really can't overstate the importance of it in my life.

I wrote to Hugh Miles a few years back and he included some of my comments in his blog, which just crowned it off with a cherry that did.
APFA and Led Zeppelin! What great taste you have Sir. :Thumb:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

APFA and Led Zeppelin! What great taste you have Sir.

I'll second that.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Why thank you gentle fishers. Despite being 36, I'm full on dad Rock. Zeppelin, Heep, Purple, Sabbath, etc. All ingrained in me from a very young age, 'standing' in the footwell of my mothers Renault 5 getting brain washed by Plants vocals, Bonhams drums, Pages guitar and (sorry JPJ, as much as I adore you, he's just more my kind of bass player) Butlers Bass.

Then at age 12, I remember vividly, I was in bishop Auckland morrisons shopping with Ronnie (dad) and I was singing Urigh Heep lyrics, when he pointed out that the tune I was singing too was Dazed and Confused by LZ. "I've never heard LZ". Of course I had, but refound them again, like a comforting nursery rhyme, still in my head just dormant. Cassette on and I've been 'literally' obsessed with LZ ever since. To the point that I can get quite boring on the subject and frequently do (this post is case in point).

Same as with APFA. As described, after the initial airing, I was a fisherman and wanted to be it with the same burning intensity as with LZ. Then with what must be thousands of viewings (I have a bit of an obsessive compulsive personality, a quality or not, I think it's shared by most fisherman) I could probably repeat verbatim every episode. I'd argue with anyone for the title of most viewings, in fact, I watched them again the other day. :Chuckle:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Return to “Fishing Films”