APFA and Chris Ball

Watched a good traditional fishing DVD lately, why not talk about it in here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Kingfisher
Catfish
Posts: 5686
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:14 am
Location: Llandrindod Wells (Mid Wales)

APFA and Chris Ball

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:36 pm

I've just watched Chris Balls video on youtube and on there he mentioned that he had some involvement in APFA. I just wondered what it was?

I know Chris is a member on here, I was purely curious as to what it was, for no reason other than (well) being nosey really. :tea:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

User avatar
Mark
Head Bailiff
Posts: 17327
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Leicestershire
Contact:

Re: APFA and Chris Ball

Post by Mark » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Kingfisher wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:36 pm
I've just watched Chris Balls video on youtube and on there he mentioned that he had some involvement in APFA. I just wondered what it was?

I know Chris is a member on here, I was purely curious as to what it was, for no reason other than (well) being nosey really. :tea:
From memory Dick Walkers rod that Chris Yates used to catch the first twenty four pounder on APFA was owned by Chris Ball.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

User avatar
Kingfisher
Catfish
Posts: 5686
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:14 am
Location: Llandrindod Wells (Mid Wales)

Re: APFA and Chris Ball

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Mark wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:52 pm
Kingfisher wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:36 pm
I've just watched Chris Balls video on youtube and on there he mentioned that he had some involvement in APFA. I just wondered what it was?

I know Chris is a member on here, I was purely curious as to what it was, for no reason other than (well) being nosey really. :tea:
From memory Dick Walkers rod that Chris Yates used to catch the first twenty four pounder on APFA was owned by Chris Ball.
Yes, you're right Mark but it sounded as though there was more to it than just lending Chris the rod. Chris Yates also gave Chris Ball the hook he caught the 24lb carp on.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

User avatar
Chris Ball
Bleak
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: APFA and Chris Ball

Post by Chris Ball » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Hello Kingfisher,
When editing APFA some of the stuff was hived off onto VHS video at the studio. Neither Chris or Bob had a video recorder at the time so I was in a position to make copies for them to keep for a future time. The most interesting was masses of footage Hugh Miles shot of the carp taking mixers at the Monster Myths lake, though only a little of it was actually used in the film itself. There was quite a bit of the Redmire session that was never used which I transferred also.

User avatar
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp
Posts: 9698
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:33 pm
Location: Leicestershire

Re: APFA and Chris Ball

Post by Loop Erimder » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Oooh that's interesting. .. . APFA....deleted scenes...... we can dream
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

User avatar
Beresford
Zander
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: APFA and Chris Ball

Post by Beresford » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Yes – they should release 'The lost episode(s).'
The Split Cane Splinter Group

User avatar
Kingfisher
Catfish
Posts: 5686
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:14 am
Location: Llandrindod Wells (Mid Wales)

Re: APFA and Chris Ball

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:08 am

Chris Ball wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:33 pm
Hello Kingfisher,
When editing APFA some of the stuff was hived off onto VHS video at the studio. Neither Chris or Bob had a video recorder at the time so I was in a position to make copies for them to keep for a future time. The most interesting was masses of footage Hugh Miles shot of the carp taking mixers at the Monster Myths lake, though only a little of it was actually used in the film itself. There was quite a bit of the Redmire session that was never used which I transferred also.
Thanks for going to the trouble of replying Chris. I've only just seen this, sorry for not replying sooner.

You must have some lovely stuff to watch on days when weather doesn't allow you to fish. I have A Passion For Angling saved onto my phone so that if I have to wait anywhere for my wife for hours "You know how it is" then I can watch it. Anyway, a couple of weeks back I fished Redmire for 5 days (a late Birthday present from my Dad, this was my second time there) I was fishing with a chap who'd never fished there before but knew the series (APFA) very well from his childhood. He was sat on the dam float fishing and I put the theme tune on to play over my phone..............Picture the scene if you will..............dead calm and quiet everywhere............the day is cloudy and overcast but dry and mild..............fish are feeding................APFA theme sounds out across the pool. He stands up and says that is absolutely fantastic!!

It made his trip and he told me that the hairs stood up on the back of his neck when he heard it. He was lucky enough to catch a 22lb 6 ounce common on the float on our last night. It was just as much of a pleasure to me witnessing that than actually catching it myself. His PB carp prior to this was 14lb after 40 odd years of fishing. He's since caught another 20 pound carp whilst perch fishing. He now recons common carp are like trains, you wait an age for one to come along and then they arrive in multiples.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

User avatar
Marc
Zander
Posts: 3504
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 am
Location: Co Durham, land of the prince bishops

Re: APFA and Chris Ball

Post by Marc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:40 am

Loop Erimder wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:31 pm
Oooh that's interesting. .. . APFA....deleted scenes...... we can dream
Now that would be a good Christmas present. Someone get onto Hugh and force him at gaff point. :Sarcasm:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

"Then, as it was, then again it will be. And though the course may change sometimes. Rivers always reach the sea"

User avatar
The Sweetcorn Kid
Bailiff
Posts: 11763
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Portsmouth
Contact:

Re: APFA and Chris Ball

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Agreed. Let's start a petition.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson




http://thesweetcornkid.blogspot.com

Post Reply

Return to “Traditional Fishing DVD's”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests