The Nottingham Reels forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: What's inside a Slater latch?

Post by Mark »

Yes a lovely reel and fish Tadpole. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Colour co-ordinated rod, reel and fish!
That reel's a peach, Tadpole, is it a genyawine David Slater?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Vole wrote:Colour co-ordinated rod, reel and fish!
That reel's a peach, Tadpole, is it a genyawine David Slater?
Morning Vole, Sorry its taken over a year to reply, I only just noticed this thread!...I believe the reel to be a Millwards from around 1915-1922 ? ...but I'm not an expert on these matters.

Ross
Stickleback

Post by Ross »

Good evening all

I joined the forum today and am trying to restore a 3” brass and wood slater latch reel. I took the whole reel apart and now find myself trying to understand where the spring component belongs. I think its inside the brass centre of the reel that allows the spool to become free of the main body of the reel but how do you fit it? I had a look on this sote before becoming a member and if memory serves me correctly ‘Vole’ posted a picture showing the location of the spring which was no longer available circa 2011/2? Does anyone have the answer to this conundrum please?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ross wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 pm Good evening all

I joined the forum today and am trying to restore a 3” brass and wood slater latch reel. I took the whole reel apart and now find myself trying to understand where the spring component belongs. I think its inside the brass centre of the reel that allows the spool to become free of the main body of the reel but how do you fit it? I had a look on this sote before becoming a member and if memory serves me correctly ‘Vole’ posted a picture showing the location of the spring which was no longer available circa 2011/2? Does anyone have the answer to this conundrum please?
If you find out, do post pictures. I’ve so far chickened out of opening any of my Slater or Heaton latches! Mind you, a good squirt of WD40 has always seemed to clean them up.

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

This is my little zephyr type reel.

ImageImage

I took the 4 screws out but the centre boss was not loose and I dare not use any force to try to remove it.

If it were a Y shaped latch, like on an aerial, you would pull the knob away from the centre boss.

However, the way the latch mechanism works suggests that it is a hidden telephone latch; that moving the little knob makes something pivot away from the depression in the spindle.

So if you have yours in pieces, you want the spring to prevent the lever moving away from the spindle.

Hope this helps, and I am sure we would all like to see photos of the inside of a Slater latch if you have them.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

I am not saying that it is, but the unlatch pin, seems to be in a slot which seems a little bit crudely made - square end. Not what I would perceive to be correct in Craftsman designed reels of past years. I say this from bitter experience having bought a reel, from an auction house, without physically having eyes on. Obviously I didn't ask enough questions - once bitten, twice shy. Mine was a bodge job.

Ross
Stickleback

Post by Ross »

Does anyone know if Vole is still an ac5ive member of the forum?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ross wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:54 pm Does anyone know if Vole is still an ac5ive member of the forum?
He is. You can tell posts from those who are not as only the name appears in the box to the right of their posts. There’s a private messaging facility linked to your profile details page.

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Just...though I haven't been fishing for a year now. How painful is trying to post an image nowadays? I had a couple of tries after botophucket turned ransomware and tinypics became megapain, but not with enough success to enjoy the process. Have things improved on that front?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Nottingham Reels”