Wooden 4inch Reel.

The Nottingham Reels forum.
Kenny35

Wooden 4inch Reel.

Post by Kenny35 »

I have one of these wooden reels 4 inch ,not sure what it was used for,fly or trotting.I think it is birch,i can see no name's on it.Anyone any idea as to the Date or if it is worth much .Thankyou.Image

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Wooden 4inch Reel.

Post by Nobby »

No idea about value, sorry, but it's most likely to be pre-war.

Actually, I do have an idea about value, I just didn't want to be rude....not much I'm afraid.

Kenny35

Post by Kenny35 »

I had a plesant sip of lemon tea whilst i gleamed over your first sentence,however on slowly reading your second ,the lemon is tasting not so palatable. :wink: At least your honest .

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

It seems to have lost its nut , too, which won't help.
Assuming you find the/a nut to hold it together, it's probably of more value as a user, than an item for sale. Wooden reels are far nicer to hold than metal when it's cold, and while none but the very best spin particularly freely, all but the very worst are fine for close-range float fishing. If you've already got a centre-pin for trotting, I'd suggest loading this beastie up with a sinking line for waggler/laying-on/lift method work at comfortable (about two rod's lengths) range on still waters. By the time they come back into fashion, you might not want to part with it.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Unless wooden reels are named then they are of very low value.Most of the reels were made between the wars.They look nice in a display cabinet.Or on a wall of a fishing pub.Maybe?

Kenny35

Post by Kenny35 »

Thankyou for quick replies,i think this one will rest on the shelf.

Return to “Nottingham Reels”