Wooden reel advice please

The Nottingham Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Wooden reel advice please

Post by Duckett »

I wonder if I might seek the help of more experienced heads here. Through the excellent offices of Paul Cook, I recently discovered that a Martin James "Elmer" rod that I have is probably pre-1914 ....... I had assumed it was pre-1939, but this was a bit of a surprise.

It's my favourite light work rod and sees regular use with a Young's Trudex. However, now that I know that it's pre-1914, I have been looking at acquiring a wooden Nottingham starback - I might be in error, but somehow it seems 'right' as a combination.

Anyway, I have now purchased what is my first wooden 'pin, a Reuben Heaton 3.5 incher, so I have a three questions:

1) Are there any tips or tricks to using a wooden pin properly that differ from metal 'pins? I noted a comment below regarding the ease with which modern line gets round the back.
2) The arbour seems very deep, does anyone have any tips on how I can pad it out a bit before loading my line? I'm not up to much as a maker and mender of things!
3) I have always used sewing machine oil to lubricate. Will this be Ok for the metal parts? If the wood needs treatment, I'm inclined to use olive oil as on my cheeseboard (which I note someone in a previous thread mentions).

Thank you in advance.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Wooden reel advice please

Post by Watermole+ »

Duckett's Canal wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:38 pm 1) Are there any tips or tricks to using a wooden pin properly that differ from metal 'pins? I noted a comment below regarding
the ease with which modern line gets round the back.
2) The arbour seems very deep, does anyone have any tips on how I can pad it out a bit before loading my line? I'm not up to much as a maker and mender of things!
3) I have always used sewing machine oil to lubricate. Will this be Ok for the metal parts? If the wood needs treatment, I'm inclined to use olive oil as on my cheeseboard (which I note someone in a previous thread mentions).

Thank you in advance.
Most old wooden reels are a lot heavier than their metal counterparts and were traditionanally mounted much lower down the rod handle..one of the reasons that very old rods had shorter handles!

They are also by definition, a century or more old and show it. Because they were prone to warping, there is often a huge gap between line drum and backplate so line trapping will be a regular occurrence unless you are careful. The only solution is to have the reel overhauled and a metal rim inserted to narrow the gap..(see last paragraph)

The arbors were deep because lines were thicker generally and being of flax or undressed silk, " memory" or line kinking was not a problem. Most casting was Nottingham style as you would need a 4oz lead to generate enough inertia to cast off the reel!
Your casting distance will be limited therefore.
To bush up the arbor is not easy as it depends entirely on the individual reel. This has been discussed many times and various solutions are offered, though I personally feel that a custom made adaptor is the only permanent and practical answer.

Reel lubrication then was not a scientific subject then-or now, though many will have you believe otherwise-any oil to hand normally used, so don't worry about it harming the wood. If hasn't damaged it by now, it's not going to.
Normal "3-in-1" is fine and much better than what was used in the past.

Regarding old wooden reels generally, you have to bear in mind that they have already seen a lot of use (and all too often, abuse) so it's a fair bet that both reel spindle and bush are a "rattling good fit!" Likewise the ratchet wheel, pawl and spring.
If you intend to use your reel on a regular basis for serious fishing, it will be well worth spending some money on having a replacement spindle and bronze bush made, plus a general overhaul (straightening up reel seat and handles-and thorough reconditioning to make it a nice, free-running fishable reel for use today.
Depending on what work you have done, such services need not necessarily cost a fortune and would be well worth your consideration and the outlay..

With regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Many thanks Watermole, that's very helpful. I've clearly got a lot to learn and a fair amount to do but that's all part of the fun.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Keep an eye out for one of these Reuben Heaton reels they were made for light float fishing.Image
Note the shallow drum
Even better if you can get one with this latch they also run freely. They also come with nut fixing
Note the hollowed out spool to reduce weight (1 1/2oz lighter than your trudex)
Just the right time line for your rod. :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

That's a lovely reel Harry.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That is indeed a lovely looking reel Harry. Thanks for the advice.

I was going to upload some photographs of the one I opted for but am on mobile data and the images are too large. I'll try again when I have access to a better connection.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Well, it took me almost a week, but I finally managed to upload the promised photographs of my reel. I've decided not to try and clean up the wood and brass, I like the patina of age and use. However, much of the varnish is gone, so I'll give it a regular wipe down with a none silicone based wood polish.
image2.JPG
image1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Looks very nice DC!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

A centrepin as well, very nice
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Harry H wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:12 pm A centrepin as well, very nice
Thanks Harry. She spins very well and with only a tiny gap between spool and body. However, for my first wooden reel, the thing that caught my attention in the first pace was the ambidextrous line guard - everything that old seems to be right hand wind. My 'pin skills tend to fall apart at the hint of a light breeze so I just have one 'pin without a line guard!

Return to “Nottingham Reels”