Boys reel

The Nottingham Reels forum.
StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Boys reel

Post by StefanDuma »

I certainly will be at Romsey with the books and maybe a display case and possibly the next book on The Dreadnought Casting Reel Company covering Percy Wadham Percy Scott and the reels they made.

See you there.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

StefanDuma wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:03 am I certainly will be at Romsey with the books and maybe a display case and possibly the next book on The Dreadnought Casting Reel Company covering Percy Wadham Percy Scott and the reels they made.

See you there.
Great, I will look forward to seeing you! I remember you said that you had a few wooden reels with a solid wood drum and alloy back plate, similar to mine (no alloy or brass flange) could you bring one so that we can compare please?

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I'll try, can you email me a picture of yours and I will dig out some similar.

I have boxes of reels and can't bring them al.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

StefanDuma wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:45 pm I'll try, can you email me a picture of yours and I will dig out some similar.

I have boxes of reels and can't bring them al.
Hi Stef, I had a problem trying to email you, so here are the pictures!ImageImageImageImageImage

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Yes its Slater, Ive just been through 4 boxes of reels and can not find the exact one but plenty with many familiar features.

If I remember correctly mine might be stamped with a Hereford retailer.

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

I recognise this reel , made by slater of Newark
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Richard Jackson wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:43 pm I recognise this reel , made by slater of Newark
I was always told that it if isn't stamped Slater you cannot be sure, but if Stefan thanks that it is, that is good enough for me !

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

So often the term 'boys reel' is used in a pejorative sense ... sometimes meaning 'cheap and badly made.'

But weren't most of us introduced to angling on 'boys reels' ? I know I was.

My Intrepid 'Monarch Mk. II' gave many years of sterling service .. my first ever reel ... and partly responsible for not only many happy memories, but also my being here in the TFF so many years later.

Three cheers for the 'boys reel' !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Roachy
Bleak

Post by Roachy »

StefanDuma wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:39 pm Boys reels from the turn of the 20th century are as per the images and are listed in Allcocks catalogue of 1898 as Model 409 BOYS WOOD REEL.

boysallcock.jpg
I have a nice brass one.I would not think that there are many left.Image
Fishing is complete and utter madness.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Roachy wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:36 pm
StefanDuma wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:39 pm Boys reels from the turn of the 20th century are as per the images and are listed in Allcocks catalogue of 1898 as Model 409 BOYS WOOD REEL.

boysallcock.jpg
I have a nice brass one.I would not think that there are many left.Image
As per the catalogue illustration Model 3481 and yes I think you are 100% correct I have seen the odd one or two in brass compared to the wooden one.

A nice find and I will try and remember what the PATENT refers to.

Stef

Return to “Nottingham Reels”