Quest for the Best by Jack Hilton

This forum belongs to Jack Hilton.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Quest for the Best by Jack Hilton

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote:
Mark wrote:Here's the two pictures from the book Dave. Doe's anyone know who they are?

I received an email today from Tom O'reilly, please see the following.

I was interested to read on your site about the the boys in Jack Hilton's Quest for the Best.... I seem to remember Ann Hilton didn't know who they were, but its interesting to know if they carried on fishing.... cheers Tom
An old thread this one but now with many new members on the forum does anyone know anything about the two boys above that were pictured in the back of Quest for the Best by Jack Hilton.

Here is the link to the original thread.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... ?f=7&t=231
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

SparrowHawk
Bleak

Re: Quest for the Best by Jack Hilton

Post by SparrowHawk »

i wonder if that chub in the top photo is the one that lived in redmire,often referred to as "popeye"

Sandgroper
Bleak

Post by Sandgroper »

I can't help wondering if the boy in the picture is Alan Wilkes. Jack helped a number of young anglers and Wilkie was one of them. It is quite possible that Ann Hilton would not have known because Jack and she got together in the '70s. In the days that Jack and Wilkie were fishing together, Jack was married to Rose, his first wife. She may well have recognised the lad. When I first met Ann, she was married to Dave Carter and the two of them took care of me one night when I was in London when I was too sick to drive home. I had spent a full day being violently sea sick in the bottom of a boat in the English Channel. The one and only time I have ever been sea sick - thank God!
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello Sparrowhawk,

Redmire's 'Popeye' was long dead when Jack Hilton first fished there.

Hello Sandgroper,

Just for the record: Jack Hilton's first wife's name was not Rose, it was Grace; she sadly died last year, 2013.

Besties,

Len.

Return to “Jack Hilton”