Restoration of a P et M Luxor 500 Classic spinning rod

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Restoration of a P et M Luxor 500 Classic spinning rod

Post by OldTackle » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:23 pm

First I want to apologize because this might be discussed here quite an awful lot of time. But I think every case needs its special attention.

So please here is the case:

It's finally the Pezon et Michel Luxor Classic 500 and dates to january 25th of 1939. It has this curve to the right which I am able to get rid of by bending the rod to the other side. But it does not stay like that neither it is possible to turn the curve to the left. So, is this a due to delamination? In this case I guess only the intermediates are holding the tip section together at least in parts, correct? I tried heat already but it did not help permanently.
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG
What would you recommend to do?

Christopher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by OldTackle on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Re: Delamination or not and how to get rid of that

Post by Tinca Tinca » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:16 pm

A few PMs sent ,Sir....

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:34 pm

I stripped the tip section. Well, most of it. At the bottom I left the ring in place and to the tip as well so the area where the bend appears is stripped. I can even when twisting not see any sign of delaminaton. What would I do to heal this bend?

Any advice welcome, indeed!

Chris

AshbyCut
Honorary Vice President

Post by AshbyCut » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:03 pm

The 'set' can be removed by the application of GENTLE heat ... and some GENTLE bending of the cane. I was surprised to learn (from a great friend and teacher) how little heat is actually needed to make cane pliable ... but use a broken section of cane to practice on.

I use heat from an electric 'heat gun' (on the lowest setting) bought for under £10 from a certain web auction site ... and even I, after a few tries, can produce results which are acceptable (before and after photographs) :-

Image Image

Such a shame that the "courier" snapped all three sections of the rod in half when trying to deliver it !!!!!!!!!!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

http://www.AshbyCut.com

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:07 pm

Evening Ashby, Sir!

Such a shame of a courier !!! I always tell sellers to put a stiffer stick next to the rod and write "Careful handling - glass" on it ;)

As I thought I had mentioned before, I tried already with heat. Why can I bend it to be straight and it remains like that and if I waggle the rod it's bent again?

I thought the reason is delimitation only...

AshbyCut
Honorary Vice President

Post by AshbyCut » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Of course ... you could always just use the old way ... and re-whip the guides on with the 'bend' pointing up ... so when time takes it's toll the pressure eventually unbends the 'set.'
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

http://www.AshbyCut.com

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:15 pm

AshbyCut wrote:Of course ... you could always just use the old way ... and re-whip the guides on with the 'bend' pointing up ... so when time takes it's toll the pressure eventually unbends the 'set.'
But why then can I bend it to be straight right now without heat? It remains straight as be seen in the pictures. I had a bent rod with my Nufloat and corrected it by applying heat. Worked great, but here it seems to be another thing... :Confused:

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:23 pm

There may be other reasons or a more technical explanation, but I believe a set can become permanent, i.e. heat treating will not cure it, if the cane has been strained and lost its integrity. I have seen this myself on very old rods that have not been well looked after. Sometimes heat treating appears to work, but the set comes back as soon as the tip is put under pressure.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:37 pm

PDuffield wrote:There may be other reasons or a more technical explanation, but I believe a set can become permanent, i.e. heat treating will not cure it, if the cane has been strained and lost its integrity. I have seen this myself on very old rods that have not been well looked after. Sometimes heat treating appears to work, but the set comes back as soon as the tip is put under pressure.
Thanks on that hint PDuffield!

In this case I should try to turn it with this permanent bend facing upwards? I might give it a good 60°C/140F and see whether I can straighten the section near the ferrule to enable that.

As I said, it seems as if the rod has stood somewhere for a ling time mounted to get that problem. Poor little rod...

It's so well built and has such nice features. The ferrules are stunning!

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:48 pm

Yes, I would do as AshbyCut says, that will at least make it usable. Over time the set may then lessen as the rod is bent against it in use.

Paul

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”