new project :retro drop shot rod

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Chavender
Arctic Char

Re: new project :retro drop shot rod

Post by Chavender » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:04 pm

well I ordered some nice Fuji klag rings , ranging from the smallest to medium sized rings (listed by frame height on G'n'B ) 6X10.8mm ,6X12.2mm ,3X14.6mm ,3X20.8mm & 2X26.8mm .on paper these should of gave the right gradient & have symmetry in the layout .but on arrival and checking them against the rods the graduation between the butt ring and choke ring was too shallow .So a second order was sent for bigger/higher rings in the same range 2x 43.3mm and 31.8mm.and a few days later they arrived .

I taped the rings into position starting at the tip and working back ,and with the new bigger butt rings the gradiants where spot on ,and I was left with three spare rings (not a problem as they're quite cheap) for other projects ,as I quite like them and the 14.6mm & 2o.8mm are a good size as substitutes for standoff rings ,and the 10.8mm & 12.2mm are good as close rings.

the medium rods ring set

the ultralite rods ring set

the microlite rods ring set

now all I have too do is whip them on and a few finishing touches ,but its December and nearly the big day so finding time to do them isn't easy .and I might leave them until the new year and my birthday ....ok I've treated myself to a little birthday indulgence......

I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

SeanM
Eel

Post by SeanM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:02 pm

Corr! :Ok:
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:16 pm

not much happening at the moment awaiting the new rod wrapper too arrive ,hopefully any day now .its frustrating as I wanted these rods too be the first on the machine too test it out .

in the meantime I've orded some 40swg copper wire for the over wrap on one of the rod as it has it on the ferrules so i'll me matching it up

Slumption
Gudgeon

Post by Slumption » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Nice. I had thought a very light fly blank might be suitable, say a stream rod 4/5 weight line.

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:37 pm

yes that might work for a light rod

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:52 pm

well I've finished the micro light drop shot rod ,well 99% finished as I've too get a new ultra fine tipped white marker (mines dried up) pen too add its name etc the 6.6 Ds . seen here with a stunt reel for illustration purposes .

but I've already added my logo a S inside a D .will add a white boarder too make it stand out once the new pen arrives.

I'd whipped on the modern single leg rings designed for the job and they're hard lined & able too handle braid if needed.I've stained the rod darker colour (looks more like greenheart now for the retro look) , I might blue the ferrules yet ?.just a few little touches to go .But its ready too go for a test run ...well once I've finished the other two.

this project has taken a while but sometimes life just gets in the way ,but i'm getting there.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”