Is this a pole net

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Gudgeon Jim

Is this a pole net

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

Ive had this net about 10 years now it measures 8 inch across with a 2 pc. 79 inch handle.
The thread on the net is unique as it is not a standard thread but fits well with the handle boss.
The mesh is made from scrim / hessian and is very well made and stitched.The pole as a butt cap but doesnt have a makers name.
Reading M. Naddells book he states nets for poling were only big enough to accept a 2lb Roach so was wondering if this net is a poling net.

Reedling
Catfish

Re: Is this a pole net

Post by Reedling »

I may be wrong but it looks a bit like a Butterfly net to me.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Far too heavy for butterflies - more like a proper freshwater biologist's net. The really serious "through the weeds, into the gravel and up you come, you slippery devil" jobs would have had a really stiff frame and canvas reinforcement round the hem, so I think this is an amateur's replacement. Even so, a sight better than the feeble toy-shops offerings, and well able to bat most creepy-crawlies off their roosts and into the bag.
That said, I recall sweep-netting long grass with something pretty tough, but lighter and bigger in the bag.
Have a rummage through Watkins and Doncaster's catalogue; they've been going for donkeys' years, and probably made it... http://www.watdon.co.uk/acatalog/Field_Equipment.html
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I think it's for panning for gold.

Or a pole net to catch when you just unshipped the top section.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Each time I have looked at your net something seemed familiar about it. I just walked in the other room and noticed that a collapsible net I have hanging up has the same type of handle, ie made in the same fashion. Maybe it is a common form of handle but here is a picture of it.. No name on the metalwork I'm afraid. :Hat: Reedling.

Gudgeon Jim

Post by Gudgeon Jim »

Well thanks chaps.
Someone did suggest it was very similar to a net Hardy Bros. made for catching up mayfly for dapping ? Which would make it an entomologists net as Vole suggested.
I will keep it it may have a use oneday.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think that perhaps it is a home-made net, made by someone well versed in sewing, as it is most professionally done.

But I can't help but think that soaked hessian would be terribly heavy after a few dunks.....

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”