Efgeeco 32 inch landing net frame - replacement mesh

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Duckett
Tench

Efgeeco 32 inch landing net frame - replacement mesh

Post by Duckett »

Last night I completed fitting a new mesh to my recently acquired 32 inch Efgeeco landing net head. Learning the lessons of fixing up a smaller one last April http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... 1&start=10 I replaced the S rings holding the end cord with Owner 100lb stainless steel split rings - it was a tricky job getting them on even with split ring pliers, but well worth the effort as they got caught up in threading the new mesh only once, rather than every few inches!

For joining the arm ends, I continued using some waxed cord I had found as backing on an old centrepin - last April's is still intact and it looks the part.

I'm posting this in the hope that anyone else restoring a 32 inch Efgeeco might be saved a lot of searching as finding a replacement net actually took me longer than sourcing the Efgeeco head!

I much prefer shallow rubberised nets but, after searching on-line and lots of enquiries (why don't all replacement nets state their size?), I discovered that rubberised seemed not to be an option for a replacement net this large and that only one over 32 inches was shallow. Also, having measured the frame completely open, it was obvious to me that the net would have to be 35 inches or larger.

In the end, short of destroying a new landing net, the choice came down to two:

1) Trakker Shallow Landing Net Mesh - 42 inches but only 29.5 inches deep.
2) Avanta Discovery CX Spare Mesh - 36 inches.

The Trakker would have been too large but the shallowness was a great attraction. However, in the end I couldn't source one from a supplier I wanted to do business with, so I went for the Avanta. It fits very nicely, was easy to work with in terms of fitting and actually looks identical to the net on a Korum frame a friend of mine has. However, I do have the feeling it's going to convince me once more that rubberised and shallow is best!

If anyone does know of a 35 inch plus rubberised replacement net, I'd love to here. Let me know if anyone would like to see a photograph of the finished article.

Cheers,

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Efgeeco 32 inch landing net frame - replacement mesh

Post by Olly »

I personally like a deeper net - unless float fishing for smaller fish roach/rudd/dace type fish.

Tench/barbel/carp/catfish & pike all need a more substantial sized net - 36in - 42in or even 50in.

I purchased from Snowbee two rubberised nets ( NB:- Circumferences - Medium=60in; Large=74in ) which are ideal for the smaller fish. I also found a 42in rubberised net and arms for bigger fish.

Waiting to find a 50in one but the NZ (McLean) salmon gye nets available here are enormous -- and expensive!

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Making Cane landing nets, I have found that sourcing suitable mesh for the frames is an absolute nightmare, I have taken now, to either selecting a nice net,where possible, and then making the frame to suit the net, or alternatively asking that the "customer " chooses his own net mesh and then making the frame to suit.

Landing net mesh sizes seem to be in the mind of the manufacturer, and are seldom what they appear to be when you actually get your hands on them, when you factor in that you may want a particular type of mesh , I.E, as Phil likes the rubberised,getting the depth right, and then getting one to fit your frame, well,you may as well be searching for gold plated banksticks .
Another consideration is mesh colour, black does not really look well in my opinion, and I much prefer a pale green, a dark green if I must , but certainly not the garish colours that seem to proliferate so many landing net displays.

Getting all the wants /needs together in a net is a difficult task.

Last year I though I had finally found a decent met mesh that suited almost everybodys requirements, it was a Korum, as fitted to their folding triangular and oval net frames, I sourced one , fit it to the frame and yes, it was fine, and the "customer" really liked it. Fast forward to this year, I was making a net for another "customer" and he also very much liked the Korum one I have described, I found one advertised on the internet, and purchased it, when it arrived the mesh was fine but Korum had altered the design of the sleeving ,the shop advert was showing the older type net, but when it was delivered it was now a net with the same mesh but now had a horrible stocking sleeve, and absolutley not in keeping with cane, so I then had a frantic search to find an "old stock" net, which eventually I found, after a long internet search and 120 mile round trip to collect it.

So anybody seeking suitable replacement net mesh , i wish you very good luck. I find it a nightmare, recently I have made a further two nets and made the frames to fit a "36" knotless Snowbee replacement mesh , so far things look OK, so long as Snowbeee dont alter the mesh design.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just found the details of the Snowbee rubber nets I mentioned above:-

12mm mesh x 12" deep for nets up to 60" circumference.
12mm mesh x 21" deep for nets up to 72" circumference.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Olly I carry a McLean sea trout weigh net. It's excellent and worth the investment in my opinion. The salmon size is huge and I found it a real pain to carry whilst actually fishing. It's kept on the boat for pike fishing or carried whilst ghillieing for others on rivers known for big fish. There's a video on YouTube explaining how to rubberise netting with a latex paint but I've not tried it myself.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Thanks but as the salmon have not yet appeared in the river this year I shall save my money. It is the walking about with one that big that causes problems.

One river I fish I use a 50" net for pike - glad I do as I caught 2 x 20+ at one go! Mind you usually in only a couple of swims not walking miles on the bank.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:28 pm Just found the details of the Snowbee rubber nets I mentioned above:-

12mm mesh x 12" deep for nets up to 60" circumference.
12mm mesh x 21" deep for nets up to 72" circumference.
I fitted the 72 inch version to my 24 inch Efgeeco. It’s perfect for that but doubt it would fit a larger Efgeeco. They are indeed excellent nets.

Thanks to everyone for the comments ...... I’m glad I’m not alone with this problem. I’m not keen on untidy finishes, but I a, seriously considering tying a knot in the bottom of the net I’ve fitted in order to make it a little less deep!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have used an elastic band - if it is a giant the elastic will fall off!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:52 pm I have used an elastic band - if it is a giant the elastic will fall off!
Great suggestion, thanks Olly.

Phil

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”