My latest Crabtree/ Ingham style teardrop net.

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Old Man River
Eel

My latest Crabtree/ Ingham style teardrop net.

Post by Old Man River »

I had had in mind for a while to make a net with a more traditional style netting,with a "loop" as opposed to a "sleeve frame fitting, so a couple of months back I set about putting together the odds and ends to start, the frame was made, the spreader was this time made from Alloy, polished and buffed , the pole I also decided would be a bit different to the "normal" flamed ones I have in my collection, on a trip to the bamboo suppliers I came across a suitable pole that seems , al least to me , to have more "nodes" than is usual, so thinking it looked nice I purloined it. Lastly I had to source some suitable netting, I spotted a replacement "Snowbee" net , and arranged to collect it whilst travelling down to Cornwall .

Anyway , meantimes I finished the net frame, the spreader and pole, I thought as the spreader was alloy I would compliment the pole with an alloy collar and a standard alloy and rubber button on the end of the pole , I had a suitable rubber button recently rescued from another rod, so everything was good to go, lastly I had to decide what whippings to put into the pole, I decided on Burgundy as it is a colour that I think compliments the pale of the cane..and also, again something I have not done before I used satin coat Yacht varnish.
TBH I am not sure about that, being used to the high gloss I usually use... I am hoping it will grow on me as I now have a tins worth to use up.

Anyway, here it is...I think the paler colour of the pole gives the whole net a less " bulky " look about it , or maybe I am imagining things though.

Whilst at the bamboo suppliers, I bought enough bamboo to make two more nets, I have the alloy for the two spreaders and two more suitable poles, so in the coming months I will probably set about making a couple more nets, not sure what type of net bag to use, I must admit I find choosing a suitable net bag in a suitable size and colour is quite difficult, it usually means buying a whole net and frame.

Thank you for looking ..

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: My latest Crabtree/ Ingham style teardrop net.

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done! A different result from a different approach, but it looks very nice indeed :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

As temporary "custodian" of one of OMR's nets I can attest that they are superb; mine is currently languishing on a hook in the garage next to the MkiV for the upcoming "season". Brilliant is the word I would I think use to describe these. I appreciate the lighter colour cane although, personally, I am also very happy with the "flamed"; either is a stunning addition to the lake or riverside natural environment ...............

Old Man River
Eel

fRe: My latest Crabtree/ Ingham style teardrop net.

Post by Old Man River »

Thank you for the nice words Matt.... it was nice to meet another " TFF"er, and share time over a cup of tea.I do hope your net serves you well..as you deserve.

As you say, either flamed or self coloured, bamboo looks so much more " comfortable " and belonging than the C Word I think.

:Hat:

David

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Cracking job David. I agree the pale cane does have a lighter, less bulky look. It also looks very classy, a case of less is more I think. Well done.

Wal.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Crikey - looped net - light cane - satin varnish - buffed alloy. :drool:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

What a beautiful looking net and handle, and such a practical net as well, with the size of the head and the length of the handle, they are perfectly matched. :Hat:

May I be so rude as to enquire about the contents of those interesting looking jars?

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Banksy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:55 pm

What a beautiful looking net and handle, and such a practical net as well, with the size of the head and the length of the handle, they are perfectly matched. :Hat:

May I be so rude as to enquire about the contents of those interesting looking jars?
Hello Banksy, many thanks for the nice comments... now, the "interesting little Bottles " bear with me and the following may make you chuckle . The same question has been asked before..
Many years ago when we were not very well off we won a holiday to Australia from a "beermat competition" from the local pub, on the flight there I had a brainwave , being a Yorkshireman and being averse to spending money on nicknacks such as fridge magnets, I decided to collect something that was free from wherever we happened to be, as it was Australia it was Sand, only a few spoonsfull from whatever beach, river or desert we happened to visit.
After that holiday we got the "travel bug" and since then we have saved and probably been to over thirty different countries , I have samples from all of them, plus my eldest son is a Commercial Saturation Diver , he visits the seabed in places air divers cannot venture , so he always sends me "samples" collected from wherever he happens to be working , some very deep areas where he has to work , so his samples are quite unusual. from such diverse places as the Persian Gulf, the Noth Sea, the Atlantic, Pacific, Maldives , Indian Ocean, in fact many places .

When we got back from Australia , I started to bottle and label the samples, so now they are like a diary of places we have visited, with the time, date and place they were collected. The daft thing is that whilst I was collecting sand, She who must be obeyed was buying fridge magnets anyway, and on returning home I had to buy little bottles in bulk as well , so as opposed to being a cheap idea it is far more expensive, however, the collection is I think a little out of the ordinary, the idea blossomed , and now it also has pyroclastic dust from several Volcanoes Vents in different countries, , Mortar from Roman Ruins in Italy and elsewhere , and even older ruins in Albania, samples from Caves, mountains, rivers, steams, beaches, even a few grains of gold we managed to pan one time, there are samples from places such as Africa, America, Fiji, New Zealand Singapore, all over Europe, etc etc..
I had to make the display shelves because the bottles soon took over a cupboard, the problem is its my job to dust them now.

The collection is continuing to grow yearly, there are over 300 bottles so far, and I still have some sand and other "bits to bottle and label up from last year , and some more to come from my son as well..... it never ends.... :holmes:

I think it would have been better to just have stuck with the fridge magnets,however..

:Hat:

David.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

David, have you ordered any more white goods lately?
Because by the looks of it your going to need them.
:Chuckle:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Pallenpool wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:21 pm David, have you ordered any more white goods lately?
Because by the looks of it your going to need them.
:Chuckle:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thats Ruths dept Peter........

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh1:

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”