Landing Net pole "Stoppers"

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Old Man River
Eel

Landing Net pole "Stoppers"

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Gentlemen ..

After reading some posts re making mini lathes for Float making , it set me thinking, I cobbled together a "base station" for my Drill, which clamped it firmly to the bench, and constructed a "guide" to rest a chisel upon.
Now I only needed something to make, I am a bit low on floatmaking materials, plus I arent that good at it , so I decided to set a new horizon for myself and actually "turn" something.

After browsing the internet I unashamedley pinched an idea, and made a turned "Stopper" for one of my net poles, it is a bit like rod refurbishment, once you have done one you must do another ..and another etc etc...

I only had some seasoned Pine, so that would have to do..

These are the results... I am now searching around for some Oak, I have found a bit of Mahogany, and also some odds and sods of short ends that aill come in handy as well. The 3/8 BSF threaded bar are bits of left overs from spreaders, I never throw anything away, so really the stoppers are free apart from a bit of time ,epoxy adhesive , stain and varnish .

They are probably an unneccessary addition, after all, I have managed for the last 55 plus years without one, but they look OK..

Thinking about it, I have seen something similar elsewhere on here that were made of oak as I remember, and made as rod Butt caps, and very nice too, I think maybe Pine would be a bit soft for that , but it seems fine for Pole Stoppers.

Thanks for looking !

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Landing Net pole "Stoppers"

Post by Barbelseeker »

A nice interesting start - as you say and I think like many of us "They are probably an unneccessary addition, after all, I have managed for the last 55 plus years without one, but they look OK" - Whilst I have managed for a similar length of time - they nevertheless add class to the handles - Well done.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi OMR, I take my hat of to you for this . Simple and functional . I'm off to my lathe for some R & R on this one !!!!!. Tony

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

You kept those gems rather quiet David - they look great
Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Yes I do like those; very stylish and, if one is looking for a more practical application to justify the delightful "stopper", how about preventing wasps investigating the "hole" or even preventing the build up of mud and dirt from the riverbank ? Just a thought. Frankly I don't think you really need to justify them. They are superb .....thinking now !

Dowsey
Stickleback

Post by Dowsey »

They look superb

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”