Cane Suppliers

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Cane Suppliers

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I would like to make a cane landing net handle but cannot find the correct diameter from local garden centres. Does anyone know where I might obtain some suitable cane?
I will also need brass screw connectors as I would like a two piece handle to extend the net when fishing steep banks, again if any one knows a source for such items I would be very grateful for information.
Many thanks in advance chaps.
Jeremy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Hovis
Tench

Re: Cane Suppliers

Post by Hovis »

I must have always been lucky at my local b&q. I find something around 20-25mm does the job rather well, essentially though you are looking for a good wall thickness to give the strength required.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Jeremy, its a bit out of your area, but this place has all you need and more ..

http://www.bs-bamboo.co.uk/

I visited it last year , and believe me, all it is short of is a Panda, all sizes from bamboo thick enough to split, plane and make a net frame, which is why I visited , to thin wands.

I will be visiting it next week, sourcing some more bamboo for another couple of net frames / handles, but I fear getting a pole to you may be a problem .

So far as the two piece handle is concerned, I have been thinking about this myself, and there is a posibility that the brass connecting parts of either a drain clearing rod or chimney sweeps rod would work to join the two halves together. Its only an idea at the moment, but if you find a few rods " hanging around' it may be useful ? I shall be following that one up myself as well.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Old Man River wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:29 pm Hi Jeremy, its a bit out of your area, but this place has all you need and more ..

http://www.bs-bamboo.co.uk/

I visited it last year , and believe me, all it is short of is a Panda, all sizes from bamboo thick enough to split, plane and make a net frame, which is why I visited , to thin wands.

I will be visiting it next week, sourcing some more bamboo for another couple of net frames / handles, but I fear getting a pole to you may be a problem .

So far as the two piece handle is concerned, I have been thinking about this myself, and there is a posibility that the brass connecting parts of either a drain clearing rod or chimney sweeps rod would work to join the two halves together. Its only an idea at the moment, but if you find a few rods " hanging around' it may be useful ? I shall be following that one up myself as well.

OMR
Many thanks OMR, I will make enquiries with them. I like the drain rod idea! I think I may be able to lay my hands on an old cane set, if so do you need the brass connectors yourself? Assuming I can obtainn the old cane set, I could send you the brass joints if you wish.
Best regards.
Jeremy.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”