A Twist In The Tail

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

A Twist In The Tail

Post by Northern_Nomad »

A few pics of a net handle that I made over a few weeks in the early new year. Nothing out of the ordinary, a bamboo section some 5’6” long, standard ferrule set up of 3/8” BSF and a flared butt of my preferred style. These are some pictures I took during the build, not quite finished at this stage with still a few varnish coats to go, but you can get the idea.

This was actually going to be one of the prizes for the TFF Winter Photo Competition. Two lucky winners were to get some nice books, and one unlucky beggar got this.

As it was to be a prize I wanted it to have a unique aspect to it. It had a dedication on it depicting as a TFF competition 2016 prize, but I thought it needed something with a bit more zing.

I went through the usual head scratching stage without anything forthcoming, until sat in the pub on Friday evening after walking the dog, and I happened to glance up at my hat hanging on the coat stand, focussed on the hatband and ….Gotcha…sorted.

So here is the idea. Picture is a bit out of focus as the auto focus concentrated on the reel in the centre of the pic and made the end of the handle a bit fuzzy:

Mark gave the permission for the use of the TFF logo. It’s a one off, never to be repeated by me and the owner is now Old Man Oakley.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: A Twist In The Tail

Post by Harry H »

Nice work :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Splendid work NN, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Wonderful work, what a lovely thing to have made and what a fine prize :Hat:

Mitchell324
Bleak

Post by Mitchell324 »

Very nice, and a wonderful prize it'll make too.
I'm going, I'm going, where the water tastes like wine, gonna jump in the river and stay drunk all the time.
(Allan Wilson-Canned Heat- "GOING UP THE COUNTRY")

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

That is a net handle that anyone would be proud to own and use.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Genius! Lucky man that Old Man Oakley! Thanks for showing us, it looks great :cheers:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

That is a lovely handle Lee. Any one of us would have been proud to win that. Nice touch with the logo also.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Post by Old Man Oakley »

I am truly a lucky fellow. It is a beautiful piece of work and a pleasure to use. Thank you NN.

I have yet to land a fish worthy of a photograph which I will duly post. But it matches with my new "Crabtree Net" head which I have just finished.

I just love this forum!

OMO
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

What a wonderful handle it is and what a prize to win.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”