Ash strips

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Paul Cook
Grayling

Ash strips

Post by Paul Cook »

Anyone know of a decent supplier of straight grained ash .It does seem to be harder to come by and my old supplier has now ceased trading .
any help appreciated thanks

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Ash strips

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Paul,
Just a thought.. I've made a few things out of this stuff which was leftover from a job, including a laminated Ash on Elm longbow. It was very stable timber and nice to machine or hand work.
A 3 meter length of 150 x20 will cost you about £50.00 including delivery but it will cut up to give you plenty of limbs to make it worthwhile.

http://www.skirtingboardsdirect.com/pro ... g=&offset=

Wal.

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Thanks Wally for taking the time to put that link up .

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Paul, Sir ... a shot in the dark, possibly, but try having a word with TFF member Gudgeon Jim.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Hi Paul

I've been happy with the ash supplied by;

http://www.goodtimber.com/cgi-bin/newbuild

They are based in Northamptonshire and I know one other net maker uses them as well. Very good customer service in my experience and they've prepared the strips to my exact requirements in the past.

John.
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Thankyou to the few who took the time to respond to my enquiry .Having helped a number of people myself on this forum it is pleasing to have some help back , so many thanks .

Many thanks to you Hermit , I will check these out and order a few strips , just the job , thankyou .

Any of you chaps needing help likewise please pm anytime and will help whenever I can .

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

At the risk of being a bit cheeky - may I add my thanks too. I wouldn't have a clue where to get Ash from. I found it very helpful too. Now all I need is for some kind soul to post a link to a beautiful brass V shaped spreader block........with pre drilled counter sunk screw holes.....round edges and a delightful engraved wild carp on the brass and I shall be really quite content.........still....rugby next.....so the net will have to wait......there again if I save my pennies I could get a proper one from one of our skilled Members.......

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

I to have been pondering on this question for a project I have in mind so thank you. :Hat:
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”