Richard Walker Net - Early Version Replica

Traditional landing nets large and small.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Richard Walker Net - Early Version Replica

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Awesome work, really awesome. Thanks so much for sharing. :Hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

What a wonderful post. I only wish I had the tooling to produce such nets. Jaw dropping skill Sir a hearty well done.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Utterly amazing!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Rolling Roach

Post by Rolling Roach »

Hi there everyone im new to the forum but I do have to say northern nomad you have made a very good job of them nets I have a net that was made to the exact same as Mr walkers as the net was borrowed in the closed season in the early 50s to make the one I have im trying to get some pictures as soon as I figure out how to I will post them for you to have a look at

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Rolling Roach wrote:Hi there everyone im new to the forum but I do have to say northern nomad you have made a very good job of them nets I have a net that was made to the exact same as Mr walkers as the net was borrowed in the closed season in the early 50s to make the one I have im trying to get some pictures as soon as I figure out how to I will post them for you to have a look at
Have a look at this link RR, it will help with uploading a picture.

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... f=84&t=838
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello Neil,

Whilst I realise you are familiar with this photograph, showing Richard Walker's 34lb common being handed to Bob Richards by Pete Thomas:

I've spent a bit of time trying to zoom in on the handle's butt cap, with the following result:

Whilst also realising this isn't too clear an image, it's the best I've been able to manage, and hope it helps.

Besties,

Len.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Thanks Len,

It's fair to say there is some sort of finished end to the net, slight flair, simple cap maybe? As I mentioned, the cap I put on mine can be removed if I can work out exactly what should be there . It is a source of constant head scratching and I'm starting to look at NASA conspiracy websites as a possible source of information!

On a serious note, revisiting that picture and seeing angling history unfolding and in our recent correspondance on the matter, I would like to take this opportunity to raise a toast in this festive period to those history makers still with us who may not be enjoying the best of health.

:cheers:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

I'll drink to that, Neil....and to Absent Friends.

To my eye, it looks like a simple brass butt cap on Dick's net and, in my humble opinion, that's the most likely option. Regarding fishing tackle, Dick said he wasn't into any adornment that wasn't functional.

What do you reckon that 'ring' is, about halfway twixt Pete's left hand and the bottom of the handle?

Peaceful Seasonal Tidings To All,

Len.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Whipped band for grip maybe or even a node not flattened down or both?
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Bamboo node?
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”