Len Arbery's Traditional Landing Nets

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Hovis
Tench

Re: Len Arbery's Traditional Landing Nets

Post by Hovis »

Looking good Bob and Len. Really looking forward to seeing the finished net if you would so kind as to post a picture.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I used my landing net today for the first time on my first session of the closed season. It successfully engulfed the carp I caught, though it wasn't a large one at just 13.09.
The capture was made a little more special by the fact that I used the Sharpe's Carp for the first time too. It was paired up with the DAM 280 reel from 1959.
Caught on a free lined floater.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Excellent Bob..lovely that these skills are continued by such pioneering individuals. I was talking to Mike Harris, now 82, about them earlier this week. He is making me some cane swing-tips as he, like me, has maintained his passion for this form of bite indication. They will be going on a pair of very quirky rods but more of that later...just to maintain interest though my Swing-tip rods go as far back as Jack Clayton's through all the EARC's and Hardy's etc and even an ultramodern Mark Tunley. These latest two will try and embrace that history.
Reel seat (Small).jpg
Knowing you guys someone will recognise this??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Well done Bob a fitting birth to your new net, I am sure Len will be delighted !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Gary Wright
Bleak

Post by Gary Wright »

Well done Bob looks a nice piece of kit ,how did the rod perform ?

Floating baits ! Brilliant, Summer must be here. :Cool:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Gary Wright wrote:Well done Bob looks a nice piece of kit ,how did the rod perform ?

Floating baits ! Brilliant, Summer must be here. :Cool:
Hi Gary,
The rod was great, seemingly more powerful that the B. James version of the MK4.

I normally pride myself that I am pretty good at floater fishing. However this particular session I seemed to fish like a novice. Either the fish were just mouthing the bait or I have got slower :Cursing: I had 4 takes that I think would normally resulted in fish on the bank.

I have been using some new line, recommended to me for floater fishing. It seemed to curl off the spool like a spring and when you strike it takes a while to get in contact with the hook to drive it home. It also wanted to fall off the front of the spool and snag around the bail arm. All in all a bit of a nightmare. I came close to putting on a Shimano (Sorry Mark) which is loaded with floating braid, but I didn't succumb.

Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,

Yes, I'm delighted to hear of Bob's success with his new net and see the picture, as it is always an especial treat for me to see the fruits of my labour used for their intended purpose.

Carrying on this theme: Earlier in this thread I described the renovation of the ex-Ritchie McDonald landing net I made for him, for its new owner Greg Fletcher. Well, Greg has just 're-christened' it with this 21lb 12oz common.

Yes, I really do appreciate the owners of my nets keeping me informed of their successes!

Besties,

Len.

Chris Ball
Bleak

Post by Chris Ball »

Brilliant picture... well done Greg and such good work from Len to bring back to life this iconic net of Ritchie’s.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”