WALKER NET - ADVICE ?

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Barbulus
Tench

WALKER NET - ADVICE ?

Post by Barbulus »

Thinking of forthcoming birthday as such and a few questions if anyone in the TFF has any knowledge on the subject of the "good ole" Walker Net.....I thought about having an attempt at making one but frankly decided at present I do not have either the skill or patience.....

Firstly, is Agutters' still in business ?

If they are, they (used to) advertise a traditional Walker style Net at around the £ 195 mark.

Does anyone in the TFF have one or can anyone comment on their quality and utility ? As an example, "arms" in cane - split or whole....? .....the quality of the "Ali" Block and articulating arms....ease of use....ferrule attachment....length and diameter of the cane handle - intermediates.....weight et al.....

Grateful for any advice....if positive comments please post in open Forum...if negative....you might want to PM instead....

Many thanks

Barbulus

CWK
Perch

Re: WALKER NET - ADVICE ?

Post by CWK »

Barbulus , Jason White might be able to manufacture just what you need . His contact details can be found elsewhere on this forum .

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Oh....thats a thought CWK. I hadn't gone down that particular route as I know there is a telephone number but of course I understand he doesn't advertise so was unsure whether he manufactured/crafted them.....many thanks though as I have seen some of JW's work on a catapult and bank stick and they do look rather special....

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Agutters no longer make them. I made a general enquiry about spares or whole nets a few years ago and was told no longer in production.

I suspect maybe due to the same reason as B James.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Neil

Ah....that would explain the Agutters difficulty. Interesting though as I have a sense that there are a reasonable number of TFF members who would be interested in a production run....say even a "kit" version....arms....blocks....handle...ferrule.....then TFF members make the "kit" up themselves. I know you have a superb version that you made....

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

I have made five of these nets up in the past, built to the Walker spec . I can honestly say that as delightful as they are , they are far too costly and time consuming to make them viable . The engineered parts alone are very expensive to produce and buy in . An engineer friend of mine made all the parts and we both came to the conclusion that it was too much trouble . I have the original formers for the split cane arms and still have two sets of arms that I made years ago which have never seen the light of day . No doubt I will find some use for them one day . I do like the walker nets and it is a great shame that they are one of those desirable items which are expensive to produce .

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

It is interesting to have the benefit of direct experience Paul with the five you have made previously. I did wonder whether once one had got past the first one or two the production might prove easier...whether the block or the arms.....clearly it is not quite so and I shall have to give this some more thought.....they are so desirable that I cannot help but think (hope ?) that there is perhaps some way of bringing them back.....

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Barbulus wrote:It is interesting to have the benefit of direct experience Paul with the five you have made previously. I did wonder whether once one had got past the first one or two the production might prove easier...whether the block or the arms.....clearly it is not quite so and I shall have to give this some more thought.....they are so desirable that I cannot help but think (hope ?) that there is perhaps some way of bringing them back.....
First one as with everything is always the trickiest one but once you know your way round it the second and so on becomes a lot easier but it was still the time involved . There are a number of components to each net as I am sure you are aware of but like anything , time and costs . With all engineering , especially these days , if multiple numbers can be produced then the price reduces and it is also worth the engineer to set up the machine and produce them but if it is small numbers ,most will not entertain the idea . Having large numbers of components at your disposal is a luxury but but an ill afforded one , you got to then sell the things and work out the costs .Working out the parts and multiply them x 3 , it will give you an idea of the costs involved .
I made these 5 nets about 15 years ago and fell under the false pretence that I could make them worthwhile , big mistake and I can quite see how the original makers , b.James dropped them . The only way round it is if you can find an engineer who is willing to make the parts as a one off .
Somewhere out there is a mini version of the walker net , about half the original size that I made for general coarse fishing , wish I had kept it but like a lot of things at the time , you move them on .

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

I have made my take on one of these nets, not an exact replica but a variant on the mechanics of the original.

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=10728

Although an amateur and not professionally involved in tackle making or indeed any form of production based discipline, this net did take an age to produce. In my case I made each part myself, the majority by hand with hand tools. Ok as has been alluded to, and a second one would be marginally quicker as the design has been already done and tested. I also now own a lathe for turning and milling but it would still take many, many hours, so many in fact that even as an amateur, IF it was deemed to be good enough to sell, it just wouldn't make sense, too many hours, too much hassle, and to make it worthwhile I would be charging the price of a new Barder rod!!

Because of this most nets out there tend to stay with their current owners and don’t come up for sale often, or if they do, then for eye watering prices.

I am going to make a 100% replica this year either of an original Walker Net or a B. James version (slight difference), but I am under no illusions it will be a labour of love and will take up a large chunk of holiday time. :surrender:

I think for the vast majority of us who wish to own one of these, it's a case of make your own or mortgage your house for a bespoke one off.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

I have to agree totally with the above post by Northern Nomad , it really is a case of a labour of love . Price wise , with labour and parts would be too high for most to see it as a worthwhile project . It is a great shame , they are very nice nets and I would imagine those who own one would be hard pushed to want to get rid . Engineering wise they are a marvel , the craftmanship in making all those parts are skillful to say the least . Like most things , hindsight is a wonderful thing but I wished I had kept one back that I made for myself .

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”