Early folding Landing Net?

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Early folding Landing Net?

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello there

Last night I met my old school friend for an evenings fishing, and as we were unloading our vehicle Martin had a couple of vintage nets he wanted to show me, one small keep net possibly for keeping live bait in, the other was a circular landing net and then he showed a small triangular folding landing net which he promptly handed to me and said "you can have this one". How generous and what a good friend.
:cheers:
The net stands altogether about 5' with the net itself about16" in length folded up. The handle is made from bamboo with a brass insert. The tether at the front of the net is made from leather. When assembled the front of the spans about 12". There are also notches in the lowèr end of the handle.

Is it earlyish? Any thoughts on make or is it homemade?

Thank you for your time :Hat:

Tony.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Early folding Landing Net?

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Sorry I cannot answer any of your questions but all the same what a fine piece of tackle which looks very usable.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:39 pm Sorry I cannot answer any of your questions but all the same what a fine piece of tackle which looks very usable.
Thank you PershoreHarrier. It does look old. I think it might be homemade. I might be wrong.

:Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

What a lovely looking net and handle and untouched and totally original by the looks of it. Does the net spring open for use may I ask? Sorry I cannot help with identification but I am sure someone must have a catalogue with a similar net in the pages. Smashing find. :Thumb:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Reedling wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 am What a lovely looking net and handle and untouched and totally original by the looks of it. Does the net spring open for use may I ask? Sorry I cannot help with identification but I am sure someone must have a catalogue with a similar net in the pages. Smashing find. :Thumb:
Thank you for your thoughts Reedling. The net locks when you put the handle in the open position and folds up normally when the handle is detached.

Last edited by Tonytoned on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Ah yes, ingenious, I can see exactly how it locks the net in position as you screw the handle up. It is amazing how many different methods have been used on nets to fix them in the open position. :Hat:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Tonytoned wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:17 pm
Reedling wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 am What a lovely looking net and handle and untouched and totally original by the looks of it. Does the net spring open for use may I ask? Sorry I cannot help with identification but I am sure someone must have a catalogue with a similar net in the pages. Smashing find. :Thumb:
Thank you for your thoughts Reeding. The net locks when you put the handle in the open position and folds up normally when the handle is detached.

If you go on the Bay of Fleas and search “vintage landing net” there is one there with what looks to me to be an identical mechanism. It’s not me selling it I hasten to add. So, I doubt that it was home made.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Duckett wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:22 pm
Tonytoned wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:17 pm
Thank you for your thoughts Reeding. The net locks when you put the handle in the open position and folds up normally when the handle is detached.

If you go on the Bay of Fleas and search “vintage landing net” there is one there with what looks to me to be an identical mechanism. It’s not me selling it I hasten to add. So, I doubt that it was home made.
Thank you Duckett. I did have a look and I see what you mean, it is very similar.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have seen this type of net ring in a catalogue somewhere but I can't find it at the moment, there is also a pear shaped net ring which opens and folds on the same principal. I am almost certain it is called the Paragon.

Wal.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:47 am I have seen this type of net ring in a catalogue somewhere but I can't find it at the moment, there is also a pear shaped net ring which opens and folds on the same principal. I am almost certain it is called the Paragon.

Wal.
Something like this one Wal? viewtopic.php?f=66&t=17731&hilit=landing
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”