big piker

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Gord
Crucian Carp

big piker

Post by Gord »

I have a g and y big piker reel it has a rim lever check and a type of clutch for want of another word it is a bit plasticy but it does what it says on the label and I love using it as there is nothing like a pike on the pin,you never see many for sale and I wonder if they were judged a failure or just a limited run if anybody else uses on or knows any thing about them it would be nice to know.
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: big piker

Post by Harry H »

Gord wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:52 pm I have a g and y big piker reel it has a rim lever check and a type of clutch for want of another word it is a bit plasticy but it does what it says on the label and I love using it as there is nothing like a pike on the pin,you never see many for sale and I wonder if they were judged a failure or just a limited run if anybody else uses on or knows any thing about them it would be nice to know.
If I remember correctly I think they were pretty much the same as the Seajecta, pretty heavy duty reels :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I've never understood the idea of the 'pike reel'. I use 40lb braid on an Avon Royal Supreme when float fishing and float trolling from my boat on the lakes and lochs. Loads of line capacity, tough as old boots and a decent enough check/clutch for the job. Just need to watch the knuckles on the first few runs!

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

I think they are just the 1980's plastic incarnation of the Seajecta, you don't see too many of them.

Matt

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

And proabably only a small factory run before the factory closed

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have from new - possibly only used a couple of times. Excellent for drifting with a vane float - stick it in the rests and watch it sail into the distance - well 80 - 100m!

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

I would like one...been looking for a while

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Solid reels G&Y. I am planning to give my G&Y Orlando Minor (sidecast beach reel) a turn at pike fishing at some point; should be good.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

ImageImage

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Was not the Big Piker a clever badging of a semi plastic version of The Avon Supreme by Shakespear when they took over Grice and Young? I could of course.be wrong
Quite sought-after reels though; a sort of affordable version of the Holy Grail just because of their rarity and the name .
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”