Kk bearings "stantonesque" reels

The Kenny Kendall Reels forum.
Chavender
Eel

Kk bearings "stantonesque" reels

Post by Chavender »

Finally I've come too what I've found out about other reels made ,primarily for match anglers these took over after the old trotter " W " sprung reels was going out of favour in the light of Stanton style reels gaining in the match scene in the 60's ,these being a different to previous bushings only reels previously made ,these would of included the suspected bearings trotter model the "gem" ,but its not confirmed and may of been the first attempt or not by Kk but someones copy of their trotter and not really the same style as these that followed .

Stanton and Stanton styled reels bearings reels was taking over the match scene .with cliff adocks Stanton and the rolls Royce versions ,and harlow branded rolls Royce reels in two styles type A standard flat front with centre screw ,and type b without a centre bearing cap/screw ,trentman and W&S leeds and later lewthem leeds classic and a whole load of home brewed reels all 5" with bearings ,with handles or batting versions ,well Kenny not one to lag behind or miss a opportunity moved into this genre of reels ,the ones that follw have been confirmed as coming from his shops or house ,some are rarer than others ,ok ones quite common as a unknown maker reel ,but I recently found out that they was sold/orded in the shops and one I know off sold by Kenny himself from his kitchen ,solving another mystery reel's case ,although there was suspicions they might be Kk reels ,it seemed more likely by someone else as they're so different to previous reels.last known sold in the early seventies even then centrepins thought old hat.but by then the match scenes was dominated by Mitchell match fixed spool reels (centrepins long gone out of favour) which like a lot of centrepin makers stoped or slowed the production of centrepins in that period (mid to late 60's) as they just couldn't compete with the fixed spooled reels and so these are probably the last of the Kk reels.

this first to me looks like a G&Y style reel x with a Stanton ,apparently came in two sizes 4.1\2" and 5.125" .it has the hall mark closed rivets ,Kk style rounded top handles and later V check spring .and similar bulbus centre as the gem reel.you don't see many of these ones or perhaps you do but didn't realise it ....this one brought from the shop in leeds .

Last edited by Chavender on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Duckett
Tench

Re: Kk bearings reels s

Post by Duckett »

Chavender, I'm almost certain I saw one of those on the bay in the last few months, listed as "Stanton type".

You have a wonderful collection by the way, thanks for sharing with us.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Chavender
Eel

Re: Kk bearings reels s

Post by Chavender »

This cheeky number is as close as a carbon copy as you get ,a alcocks stantonesque reel ,with slight difference .again a rare model ,sold from a different shop as a Kk stanton reel ,its known Kenny had a central leeds shop with a friend in the 70's Kendal and watsons ,but had connections or ran other shops in leeds and Doncaster (well he was a clever businessman fingers in many pies as it where ) .these sometimes sold as Doncaster reels or darlington reels ,if he didn't own or was parner in those shops certainly supplied them .I bet cliff Adcock wasn't pleased ,but cliff wouldn't of been bothered as he was doing ok with his own reels on the midlands match circuits.

again 5" and bearings & bushings versions ,and more than a passing resemblance to a adcocks Stanton ,but rivets where the likes the adcocks was screwed together ,the trademark three holed/screwed centre ,those cylinder style plastic handles ,there's two versions a bushings one and a bearings one ,I've only the bushings one too show ,haven't found pictures of the bearings on ,but its a similar arrangement to adcocks having a centre retaining screw over the bearings but a different screw ,with a ridge rather than a slot more of a knob style .both had the compensating drag on the front (kk style of borrowing features from other and adding them) the slide slotting in under the bearings on that model .don't think they made too many of these ,so probably customer ordered .heres a bushings version for lack of images of the full on bearings model.

Chavender
Eel

Re: Kk bearings "stantonesque" reels

Post by Chavender »

these will shock some ,they appear on ebay with regularity as unknown makers reels ,very distinctive ,and like the adcocks clones this was based on another Stanton reel from the midlands match scene ,the Harlow from Leicestershire takle shop (marks & harlows) made by a Rolls Royce engineer (or ex engineer) in the same patterns type A (with centre screw) type b (no centre srew) ,flat front on the type A'a and slightly beverelled front of the type b's (with no centre bearings cover screw)

type b harlow (handles removed) for comparison

Now these 70's bearings reels are a departure from the usual Arthur Crompton reels ,thought too be made by another company ,as the backs are cast then machined and they're screwed together not the usual closed riveted together .So look quite different ,but one was sold by Kenny from his kitchen ,the owner only recently showing it on face book .brought it off Kenny as a Kenny Kendal reel .

not the best pictures ,good job I've saved others over the years (unknowing they was Kk reels) now you'll notice where the Harlows has six Rr style inner perforations (finger winding holes) ,these only have three bigger holes (the same but different) ,the backs are distinctive too .and like other Stanton reels intended as a batting reel with out the need for handles as they had finger winding holes to achieve that ,but expected to bat the drum to spin it and bring the tackle in quicker because of the bearings.

integral mouldings so a cast alloy back ,machined.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

this one was named by the seller on e-bay as " the steadfast" Kenny's name for them? again the 5" size and same style but slightly different back ,no moulded in lugs ,but those old closed rivets instead .and a familiar horizontal V spring arrangement ,maybe the early version of the reel maybe still made by Arthur Crompton ...

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

well as a stantonesque batting reel ,it'd be remiss of me not to post pictures of a handless one...

Return to “Kenny Kendall Reels”