Dr Rex Elgood

This forum belongs to Rex Elgood.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Dr Rex Elgood

Post by BeechmereLake »

Enjoyed another weekend at the Tackle Fair, we sold a few things and I managed to fix a few reels but best of all was the chance taken to buy a couple of glass rods from my good friend James on the next stall, as soon as I saw the name Elgood on one of the rod bags a vision came into my head of a guy holding a double figured Common Carp, was a picture I had seen before from one of the BCSG books, it was Dr Rex Elgood as written on the rods.
Taking the rods from their bags it was clear to see they were indeed his rods and made for him by legendary rod builder Bruce Ashby.
Since returning home a few carping legends have helped me with all the info I need and all I need to do is take them fishing now, this will be an experience Im sure

I guess the biggest bonus was buying the rods from under the waiting noses of the German guys who attend the show, some things need to remain in the country of ours, as we loaded the car up to leave one of the German guys was stood saying "My Rods My Rods" so my m8 Gary just winked at him and said "Snooze you loose pal"

Image Image Image

Thanks to the carping oracle Mr Ball the picture that sprang to mind was sent to me

Here is the said picture of Dr Rex Elgood himself and to think my description was spot on just a pound and half out on the weight of the fish after all these years :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 13th May 2018

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I fished Rex's lake last week, a beautiful escape in Lincolnshire that I'm fortunate to still receive the odd invite to fish.

Rex only ever made it to one of my B.C.S.G. meetings in his latter years and was most insistent that I came along and fished with him at his lake. Sadly the day never came and that is one I definitely regret for Rex didn't have a lot longer to live.

He was a remarkable chap that never let the amputations stop him doing what he loved and he would still perch in a chair in the winter at night in his 80's to try and catch a carp. so many Rex stories that there really should have been a book about him and up until his death I didn't know any living soul who had caught carp as long ago as Rex had. Yet another unsung hero, a few know him or have heard of him, but sadly many more don't and never will.

I have many mutual friends but sadly wasted the opportunity to spend more time with him myself. At least his water still lives on despite the otters almost finishing it off after Rex had gone.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Thanks for the reply Shaun and the additional information, I have for what ever reason never forgotten the image in the BCSG book though that's not where I saw it originally, still not sure where I saw it but for sure never forgot it.
Have to say I feel proud to own these rods now and will be looking forward to using them.
I wonder if Admin could move this part thread to somewhere more appropriate, I know this man was a contemporary of Richard Walker and caught a carp well before him which is quite something, maybe it can sit along in the glass rods section or somewhere :Hat:

"BB"

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

You are right, he really deserves his own section here...

viewforum.php?f=16

I'm a bit pushed today to do it. I just wanted to make mention when I saw you'd purchased his rods. The picture of the common was taken at Hemmingford Gray I believe.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Thank you Shaun, really look forward to this page, another great who deserves his own named page :Hat:

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Just thought while I can I would drop these additional pictures on here of the auction date and lot number tags still on the rods as I wish to remove the tags to go fishing with the rods later today or tomorrow, somethings have a habit of getting destroyed or lost around here so these need keeping somewhere safe. :Hat:

"BB"

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

My friend who helps run Rex's old lake has the Heron alarms the rods used to sit on and the landing net that used to finish the job.
He is checking a few things out with Rex's Grandson at the weekend and hopefully I will have a few more words to say about Rex who landed his first carp in the 1930's and continued to do so until his final days, despite having his legs amputated. A true inspiration to all and I commented the last time he attended one of my monthly British Carp Study Group meetings that there can't be anyone alive who landed a carp longer ago than you Rex?
He smiled and admitted he knew of none.

Perhaps Mark can start the page off by transferring these posts from where I was on subject but the subject has swung more to a Dr Rex thread?

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Thanks for jogging my memory; I met Rex Elgood in the seventies. If you refer to Fed Taylor's book "My Fishing Years" the first chapter refers to fishing a lake in East Yorkshire. The lake is Cave Castle lake in South Cave which was stocked with a number of carp some of which came from Redmire. Rex Elgood was one of the syndicate members. Dave Plummer was also a member at the time.

Champ
Chub

Re: Dr Rex Elgood

Post by Champ »

Dr Rex Elgood was also a member of The Chub Study Group for many years so its likely that he was a keen river angler too!. :Hat: .

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Dr Rex Elgood

Post by Shaun Harrison »

He also ran a syndicate on the River Eye near Melton Mowbray. He was a keen river angler, but this obviously stopped when he had to have his legs amputated.

Return to “Rex Elgood”