The wensum

This forum belongs to the River Wensum.
Bigoll
Silver Bream

Re: The wensum

Post by Bigoll »

Thanks for the tips, River Roach; the Heacham River fishes better for roach and dace with a bit of colour too, so I imagine similar tactics that I employ there will work on the Wensum. Is the 'pool' between the hotel and the road bridge fishable? I'd imagine chub would hang around in the slacks there. Also, from what little I can see from Streetview, the stretch starting from the bridge and heading off into the common looks like excellent chub stalking territory; perhaps even the chance of a barbel....?

I'll see if I can give some notice of my next trip - they tend to be spur of the moment when visiting the folks in Heacham.

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

The pool is available on a £5 day ticket, I haven't actually fished the pool but Iv heard story's of the holly 2lb roach be found there. Unfortunately the chub are few and far between this far up these days. This isn't to say there not there I have heard of them up to 5lb on the stretch you mentioned. If you follow the common for about 3/4 mile there is another very nice bit known as the 3 brick arches, a picturesque dis used railway bridge the crosses the river. It doesn't look as chubby but this is where I'm told they tend to sit. It's much quieter and left alone that end. I was recently told the perch have started to make an appearance this end too :)

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

I suppose the pool might be worth a fiver if there's lots of fish activity to be seen, otherwise fishing either side of it for free seems a better idea. The Wensum through Fakenham looks remarkably similar to the sections of the Roding I fish down here in Essex/London, so I expect any chub and perch will only be found by careful stalking, and a bit of luck - thanks for the extra tips on the common section. I can't wait to give it a go, though it'll have to wait for slightly warmer weather I reckon!

Return to “River Wensum”