The wensum

This forum belongs to the River Wensum.
River Roach

The wensum

Post by River Roach »

I have recently had a few days on the wensum(as Iv mentioned on here before). i have been fishing a free stretch in fakenham and have yet to have a bad day. Iv worked in fakenham for a few years and never really taken too much notice of the river due to lots of locals telling me its a waste of time. until one day i spoke to a local fella who thought he would give it a bash and came out of it with 2 6lb chub.

After a few successful days my dad started to seem a little interested so I suggested he joined a friend and I on Sunday. His response being "well if you boys catch down there"
Sunday came I had really set out to fish it properly. Some times you arrive with intention to have a good days fishing and befor you know it's you've wasted the morning messing around, eating, drinking tea and chatting. So by the time I was happy with me rig and had put a few grabs of maggots out. My dad had been fishing half hour without a bite. First chuck, bam found them. As the day progressed I hadn't had a roach under 11 oz and had a couple of nice 1lb-2lb brownies.
The day ended with
Father: 2 roach
Me: 28 roach, 6 brownies

I think although maybe no personal best but my best days fishing yet. I just can't get enough of the trot.

Next time I want in on those chub

Anyone else fish any other stretches of the river? I recently manged to get permission to fish the bintry mill abit further along toward norwich. So that's my next stop
Ben

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: The wensum

Post by LuckyLuca »

Well done Ben, sounds like a cracking day. You aught to have given your poor old Dad an hour or two in your swim though!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Excellent result Riverroach :thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

I offered for him to have ago but, his stubborn match routes refused.

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

Another successful day on the Wensum today, a little further on this time.

I had a day of fishing on my own planned, which changed last minute due to car problems. So my dad jointed me for his third wensum experience (last time he caught an I didn't)
This time we ventured a little further on and fished a stretch that runs through the bridge inn fishery in lenwade. It was a cold, very pleasant day and resulted in my first chub. Which I was/am very exited about. It's wasn't a easy days fishing but after a long morning a single maggot on an 18 hook landed me this little beautie weighing in at 3lb 9oz

Edit by Admin (picture turned round)
Last edited by River Roach on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Excellent, Sir !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Lovely River Roach. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

Caught on cane and center pin, a float I made myself and landed in a cane landing net. Which makes the job even more satisfying

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

Thanks for sorting out the picture, I wasn't having fun with that. I really should have turned on my computer. I'm usless on this phone

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Well done Ben - I have to admit to turning over in bed rather than going fishing today, so this makes me especially jealous! Would be good to catch up for a fish soon - and I'm going to try and book out Felbrigg Hall (not hard - only 6 rods allowed) for opening day fun this year if you fancy joining in (your dad is welcome to join in too as I think there are only currently 4 def signed up)?

Return to “River Wensum”