A Wensum where's Wally

This forum belongs to the River Wensum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

A Wensum where's Wally

Post by Bob Brookes »

I didn't know where to post this. My Journal, Nothing to do with Traditional Fishing or even Favourite Photo'. In the end I have posted it on the river Wensum section.

Last week I was on holiday with my wife stopping on the banks of the Bure in Wroxham having a lovely time fishing, eating, drinking and generally celebrating her significant birthday. One of the highlights of the holiday for me was having a day on the famous river Wensum. I didn't plan to write about it on here as my host, Phil (Tengisgol), may do so if his busy life gives him time. However I took some photo's but Phil took some others, most of which I was unaware, and are so much better than my snaps. He has let me use them for by diary.

Looking at one of them I noticed that someone can be seen peering through the bushes, so I have enlarged the picture. It has so many Pixies that I could do so without losing any clarity. The face is of Ian (Silfield) who joined us for coffee and cake and stopped to remove my hook from the bush on more than one occasion. It was a lovely morning on a mill pool, just part of a fabulous day I had on a great river with a good pal. Thank you Phil and the Green Man! :Chuckle:

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: A Wensum where's Wally

Post by Rutland Rod »

I must confess Bob if you hadn’t mentioned it I wouldn’t have noticed anyone ( Ian ) in the bushes, you don’t need camo gear !

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

Phil is a proper gent, glad that you enjoyed it.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

:Wink: Ah, doing what I do best-furtively lurking in bushes!
It was great to meet you Bob and in such a nice setting too. Here is one I took from my bushy lair.

Image.

I must admit that Phil has set the bar high as I have never been fishing and eaten off such nice fishing themed plates.
I hope the rest of your week was as good as that day.
Thanks.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

That looks like a lovely spot. I could quite happily do some lurking there as well :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A very cosy looking little spot Bob. It reminds me of a nice peg I used to fish on the Nidd.

Wal.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Silfield wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:30 pm :Wink: Ah, doing what I do best-furtively lurking in bushes!
It was great to meet you Bob and in such a nice setting too. Here is one I took from my bushy lair.

Image.

I must admit that Phil has set the bar high as I have never been fishing and eaten off such nice fishing themed plates.
I hope the rest of your week was as good as that day.
Thanks.
The Kelly coming to the boil and the cake on the fish themed plates. That's living all right! :cheers:

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

How very couth :tea:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

We had a lovely fun day and it is always a privilege to spend time with Bob. I was only really returning his hospitality following a couple of Trent trips.

I would have liked to be able to show Bob what the fishing can be like but it’s a tough time to be on the river. Our pools can be subject to a lot of swimmers in the summer and I’m sure the usually resident fish move off downstream for a holiday themselves!

Still, there were plenty of dace and chublets, fine ale at lunchtime and I managed to at least get Bob attached to a big chub! It was quite funny, when the rod bent around I immediately turned back to get my camera to capture the action only to find a sheepish Bob (and straight rod) on my return.

I don’t think he’s used to being attached to big fish...
:Tongue:
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “River Wensum”