Recognition at last!

This forum is for discussing trout.
Watermole+
Chub

Recognition at last!

Post by Watermole+ »

According to the poll taken on the Springwatch programme to decide which should be our National fish, the Trout received some 21% of the vote, followed by the Stickleback with 16% and the Tench with 13%.

Whilst this forum is predominantly for Carp angling, it is only fitting that the ubiquitous little trout, synonymous with clean fresh water everywhere and resident in the Islands since the last Ice Age should at long last receive some kind of recognition, justly deserved and long overdue.

Many Thanks to Mark also, for giving the trout it's own section in the alphabetical list.

..am rather proud to make the first post in it!

wm+
Last edited by Watermole+ on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Recognition at last!

Post by Paul F »

Great post watermole, to the humble brown trout, although I must disagree with your statement that this site is predominantly for carp

I like to think the site is predominantly aimed at traditional tackle and methods and it seems we all fish for range of species, in many waters, including sea fishing.

Long may this continue, mixed informative forum, and jolly nice people :Wink:

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Hurrah for the brown trout!
A fish I have only recently become acquainted with, but one which has become one of my favourites.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

I've just caught three very small wild brown trout yesterday night. I always thought there'd be only stocked ones in my local river. Apparently not!

Greetings from Bamberg/Germany
from Martin, who loves brown trout!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Pafpuff wrote:Great post watermole, to the humble brown trout, although I must disagree with your statement that this site is predominantly for carp

I like to think the site is predominantly aimed at traditional tackle and methods and it seems we all fish for range of species, in many waters, including sea fishing.

Long may this continue, mixed informative forum, and jolly nice people :Wink:
Seconded. I very rarely read posts about carp when they are on here......
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Bright are the stars that shine,dark is the sky
I know this love of mine will never die
and I love her.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

An interesting choice. As for the forum being predominantly about carp I have to disagree.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

It is the most popular species if you go off the amount of topics and posts in the fish forum.

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

It is odd how some of the angling press , as well as the general media, often portray the wild brown as being relatively uncommon , under threat and confined to chalkstreams and uplands. No fish is wider spread geographically and so many of our streams and rivers teem with wild browns as long as the habitat is right . And to see it returning to the once violated rivers of the industrial North is especially rewarding.

But ... as an English (rather than UK ) angler's quarry surely there is only on candidate - no , not the F1 carp but the roach of course?

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The Brown trout is an admirable winner for both the UK and England. The roach would be a good contender for much but certainly not all of England. However the brown trout was and probably still is the more widespread species in terms of geographic location.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Trout (Salmo trutta)”