Winfield

The Other Reels forum.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Winfield

Post by LuckyLuca »

Yep, I've kept hold of mine. I'm sure I remember a few threads on the TFF discussing the merits of the Winfield blanks. If I remember correctly this was one of the best they sold.
Good luck with the Barbel, it should do you proud.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Marky
Stickleback

Post by Marky »

I Like this item on the Winfield spin fisher. I’ve had and used mine regularly for the last 45 years and I keep going back to it for pike on the chalk stream and the odd carp, bream, tench. It now feels like it belongs in my hands so much more than my other very fine reels and gets used a lot. In fact I don’t know why I’ve bought so many other reels that rarely get used! Yes I love the way a Mitchell 300 purrs but I could happily live with the spinfisher and my old abu 501.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

LuckyLuca wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:33 pm Shouldnt have really, but it brought back a few memories of child hood, worms, perch and gudgeon :Happy:

Winfield Newcomer Fishing Reel

THAT IS IT! - My first ever reel bought for me by my Father - prior to this reel I was using an ABU given to me on loan by my uncle - I was young and probably never noticed the superior quality of the ABU compared to this little Woolworths wonder - I have just written a post regarding fishing small pools - and I mentioned this reel - I was not 100% sure but seeing your post has confirmed it - that is the reel - yours looks in very good order what a nostalgic trip down the memory lane.
Thanks for posting Sir - it’s made my day.
Peter
:Hat: :Sun:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

LuckyLuca wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:33 pm Shouldnt have really, but it brought back a few memories of child hood, worms, perch and gudgeon :Happy:

Winfield Newcomer Fishing Reel

What do you mean 'Shouldn't have really' - Nonsense the correct answer is 'Should have and Did' - never lose the good memories.

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

Picked up this winfield spinfisher from the local junk shop today, for the princely sum of £ 5 .

I've cleaned it up and oiled and greased it and I have to say that it looks and feels to be a decent bit of kit.

Lovely metallic green paint job.
Chenille on the spool
Very quiet and smooth in operation.

I'm looking forward to trying this out with an appropriate 70's glass rod.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Wanderer wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:17 pm Picked up this winfield spinfisher from the local junk shop today, for the princely sum of £ 5 .

I've cleaned it up and oiled and greased it and I have to say that it looks and feels to be a decent bit of kit.

Lovely metallic green paint job.
Chenille on the spool
Very quiet and smooth in operation.

I'm looking forward to trying this out with an appropriate 70's glass rod.
The Spinfisher is the best one of the late 1970s scaled threesome (Coarse Fisher, Spin Fisher, Beach Fisher), a jolly nice reel. Worm drive inside there by the way. Nice condition.
Last edited by Stingray on Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gudgeon Basher
Dace

Post by Gudgeon Basher »

Fabulous condition considering the age, certainly aged better than I have :Chuckle:

Regards GB

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

As others have said before, Woolworths were an integral part of the high street in many towns and cities across the country.
I certainly used to spend my pocket money there.
Hooks to nylon, floats, shot, that sort of thing.
I was sad when they stopped selling fishing tackle and I was sad when years later, they closed down completely.

However, that is the way of things.

As a child,I thought nothing ever changed.

As an adult, I realise that nothing stays the same.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Excellent condition and a great find Wanderer :Thumb:

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

WOW must be the nicest remaining example of the liquidated companies reels :surrender:
niceroach

Return to “Other Reels”