Shakespeare Lincoln

The Other Reels forum.
PerchBasher

Shakespeare Lincoln

Post by PerchBasher »

Last Christmas my daughter, bless her, bought me a Shakespeare Lincoln. I didn’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth as she had obviously put a lot of thought onto a present for her old Dad and she is on a student budget, but it looked crude and ugly and with its side cast mechanism appeared more suitable for catching dabs from the beach than trotting a float.

However, I gave it a try and to my astonishment it performed really well. Apart from being solidly made it’s incredibly free running and on sluggish rivers pays out line better than other ‘pins I own that must be worth four or five times what my daughter paid for the Lincoln. I’ve used it for trotting and on still waters and I’m impressed. Also, my Wallis casting is not all it should be and the side cast mechanism has enable me to achieve those additional few yards.

Only two criticisms, it has a brake rather than a ratchet so it’s not really suitable for ledgering. However, if you want an introduction to the delights of centre pin fishing and can’t afford (or don’t want) to pay silly money, you could do a lot worse. Second, its a "modern" looking reel and doesn't really "go" with a split cane rod!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Shakespeare Lincoln

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Thanks PB, I'll look into that. Your daughter obviously knows her stuff!!! :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Having watched a Rolling pin in action recently I am tempted by a more in my price range Lincoln. Do any of you gents have any recent experience of these please?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Yes, I have one. It's unbelievably free-running, though it makes a mildly disconcerting rumbling sound; the arbour is shallow, which gives a fast retrieve, but can be a headache in a side-wind; it isn't pretty, but it's warm in Winter.
The brake is to lock the spool while side-casting, so as not to get friction burns from the line, as well as for moving swims. On its day (cold and calm), it's hard to beat.

Oh, and the start-up inertia of that light spool is very low. It really is a belter.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

I have to agree with Vole that for the money, you can’t really go far wrong.

The shallow spool does mean it can be vulnerable in high winds, but if you (heretically) have the line coming off the top of the reel as I do, this is less of a problem.
For trotting on a river with a sluggish flow I use it in preference to my other pins and if you are on a budget and prefer substance over style in your choice of reels, it is very good value indeed. .

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen.
PB in you original post you say it's not really suitable for ledgering as it has no ratchet. Is that down to the lack of audible bite indication? Or am I missing something else?

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

As the other gentleman have said, it really is a belter. Designed for float fishing for Luderick in Australia, there is a link here to the different Aussie models, models over here have a ratchet, which would make them suitable for ledgering, there are others with tension control http://www.alvey.com.au/default.asp?contentID=413

The Lincoln is equivalent to a 475B. There are some of the ratchet style ones for sale on ebay.com.au.

Matt

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thanks Matt. I am awaiting delivery of one now £23 inc postage can't really go wrong!

Return to “Other Reels”