Re: Very old H. Moore of Liverpool fly-reel

The Other Reels forum.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

With an optional check, end-float grub-screw adjustment and twin handle, that's a rum-looking fly reel. It's a trotting-type centre-pin, and a better attempt than the one I have:http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... ool#p33128
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

That one looks a bit neglected unfortunately.

I used to have a Dingley made, 3 1/4" H.Moore fly reel myself once. It was nicely made, rather like a Hardy "Perfect" to look at, but rather heavy. I tried to find out about the Company but was also unsuccessful. They just were one of a number of companies making "Perfect" copies at the time. The only thing I did notice was that, the quality of the metal-i.e. using phosphor bronze instead of cheap brass- and general finish was very good indeed, which suggests that they might have been a bit expensive and couldn't match the competition..?

I took some pics. before parting with it, which may be of interest..

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Churchill
Bleak

Post by Churchill »

watermole+ wrote: I used to have a Dingley made, 3 1/4" H.Moore fly reel myself once. It was nicely made, rather like a Hardy "Perfect" to look at, but rather heavy. I tried to find out about the Company but was also unsuccessful.
There was a book written about Mr Dingley's history, reels and exploits early last year LINK :wink:

B

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Hi I think what you have there is a J W Youngs trade pattern number 9 general spinning reel,as for value I have seen number 10 patterns for around £40.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Other Reels”